Most overrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could buy an amazing small batch Scottish or Irish Whiskey at that price. Not worth it.

As I mentioned above I had it twice at some beer fests I was working and wasn’t impressed at all.

Sam Adams should stick to lagers, that’s their bead and butter.
100% agree.

Last edited:
When were you in Stuttgart?

I was in the Navy and attached to USEuCom at Patch Barracks for 6 months in late 1975. (God that was a LONG time ago!)

Hated to leave Germany after only 6 months.
My first trip (Navy) to Stuttgart was in 1976, on a logistics run while stationed TDY at NS Rota, Spain. Stayed for about a week, with side trips to Munich and other parts of the lower Rhineland. We probably crossed paths.

3 Floyds and I’m from IN. When they upgraded to their massive brewery years ago, they fell flat IMO. None of their beers were as good. Used to love Dreadnaught. That beer was never the same at all.

Heineken and Corona, I have no answer

American light beer, SMH, giveme a Heineken or Corona over that.

Any dopplebock I hate that malty sweetness. I get why people like it, just not for me.

3 Floyds and I’m from IN. When they upgraded to their massive brewery years ago, they fell flat IMO. None of their beers were as good. Used to love Dreadnaught. That beer was never the same at all.

Oh do I hope you're wrong. I haven't been home in years, but 3 Floyds is my all time favorite brewery.

Just asking for opinions on people’s most overrated brand of beer.
It can be a craft beer, but I’d like to stick to ones that are pretty well known around the globe.

I’ll start.
For me, I don’t get why people drink Heineken. Every damn time I’ve decided to give it another chance, I regret it. ALWAYS gives me a throbbing headache. Corona is another beer that I would pass by if other Mexican beers are available.

I love Heineken. Instead of drinking it out of a green bottle you can drink it from a can if you dont like its skunkiness. But to be honest. I like that piss taste from a bottle. Reminds me of good summertime vibes.

It al tastes the same after a six-pack anyway :p

I read about a beer that very much interests me that I’ve never had the opportunity to try. Made by Foothills Brewing. They do a special release once a year in time for Valentine’s Day. The beer is called Sexual Chocolate. It is an imperial stout with chocolate added. It’s not been sold within 200 miles of me. But what I’ve read about it sounds really interesting. Anybody here tried that?

No, but I see the numbers. Wow! --- ABV 9.6%, SRM 53, and IBU 75. Per the Foothills Brewing website, it's available January and February. And it gives me an idea to concoct a different version using coffee beans for a Sexual Chocolate Oatmeal Stout using some of this...

20211005_203556.jpg

Dark Lord. 3 Floyds cashed in to the max during the heyday of craft beer becoming cool and let's go stand in the rain all day for this mediocre imperial stout and pay an outrageous price for the privilege.

I was shocked by how much I disliked the vintage I had. I was looking for this beer for years and finally got a chance to try it when an awesome dude brought one to Taiwan and offered to share it. He warned me but I was sure he was wrong. He wasn't. It was so cloyingly sugary and soy saucy and there was no balance at all. Just sweetness and soy sauce with the regular stout roast and some light smoke. We struggled to get through the bottle but I wouldn't let any go to waste.

Maybe it was just a bad year, though. Apparently the BBA versions can be incredible.

Anyway the other beer he brought was Fe 'Some brewery I've never never heard of' and ended up being my intro to my favorite sour brewery, DeGarde, and we ended up becoming good friends, so the night was still mostly a win 🍻🍻🍻

Anybody else always enjoy the first sip of a pumpkin beer, but then want to pour it down the drain by sip number three?

That is my reaction to Corona. First sip on s "Hmmmm. This stuff ain't all that bad. Why do I disparage it so much?" Then by the third sip, "Oh yeah, it has no staying power or flavor."

At least Corona is mostly beer sins of omission. If I am in a situation and cornered into accepting a Corrona, I can drink it.

Mass market? Coors. second is Corona, and I hate with a lime.... Craft? Local company to NWA,Core brewing , they started with a single location, added about a half dozen in roughly 3 years, were canning a lot, most stores had 2 to 4 of their beers. Late 2019, just before covid, they closed all but their original location. They didn't even get their last location open. Beer was good if you liked double to triple the hops. In an IPA I expect heavy hops, but in a chocolate stout? or in a light lager? Everything was double to triple and way outside of even the most generous hops allowance. Many just undrinkable to even a hop head. And the average person? wouldn't finish the first. Head Brewer must have been a heavy smoker with no tastebuds left. They still are open, but I don't and won't buy their stuff when there are more varieties out there than I can taste.

Beers I avoid like the plague:
- Anything in a clear or green bottle. Skunk city.
- NEIPA, cloudy, hazy, dank. Beer that looks like a glass of orange juice. Is that not played out yet? If I drink an IPA its a West Coast IPA.
- So called “pastry beers.” Just - why?
- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.
- Anything Belgian. Those beers people describe with words like “it has a horse blanket aroma” or “a barnyard aroma.” Beers with spoilage organisms introduced on purpose. Again, just - why? Brett does not belong in beer. We spend good money on PBW and Star San to keep that stuff out.
- Sour beers. Once more spoilage organisms on purpose and - just - why?

Positives:
- One company that doesn’t get the credit they deserve is Sam Adams. Every beer they make.
- Somebody mentioned Stella. Thats one of the very few beers from Belgium I don’t find disagreeable.
- Guiness is a great beer. Too many people assume that because its so dark it must be strong. Guiness is less than 4% and one of the lowest alcohol beers you are likely to find easily.
- Far as light beers, people drink them for the reduced calories. I buy Miller High Life, very cheap and very good for what it is. I also buy Miller Lite for the fewer calories. My wife likes Michelob Ultra because she does keto and wants the least carbs possible when she wants a beer. 2.6 carbs for Ultra vs 7 carbs in my High Life. Miller Lite gives it a run at 3.2 carbs though. Much as people want to berate these beers, most of us couldn’t brew them at home as well as these are made and none of us could brew them for what we’re buying them for.

I just started reading this thread

I agree with you about green, clear skunky beer.

Only had one pastry beer and It took all night to drink 3/4 of it.

NEIPA VS WCIPA

WCIPA has been around since the 80s craft brewery explosion so it's no wonder you like them over NEIPA. There are some very good NEIPAS but I agree they're not everyone's cup of tea(beer)

The Only Pumkin Beer that was any good was "buffalo Bill's or Wild Bills" all the others are gross.

Belgian beers are certainly not all horse blanket and barnyard beer. I'll use Duvall a very good Belgian strong golden ale no barnyard aroma as a good example.

Sour Ales...your are correct it is a beer that more or less has been made to go bad. Under a controlled environment. The new wave of fruity quick sours, with little to no aging can go somewhere else. But an aged lambic, or aged Kriek is a delicious experience

Beers I avoid like the plague:
- Anything in a clear or green bottle. Skunk city.
- NEIPA, cloudy, hazy, dank. Beer that looks like a glass of orange juice. Is that not played out yet? If I drink an IPA its a West Coast IPA.
- So called “pastry beers.” Just - why?
- Pumpkin beer. Yuk.
- Anything Belgian. Those beers people describe with words like “it has a horse blanket aroma” or “a barnyard aroma.” Beers with spoilage organisms introduced on purpose. Again, just - why? Brett does not belong in beer. We spend good money on PBW and Star San to keep that stuff out.
- Sour beers. Once more spoilage organisms on purpose and - just - why?

Positives:
- One company that doesn’t get the credit they deserve is Sam Adams. Every beer they make.
- Somebody mentioned Stella. Thats one of the very few beers from Belgium I don’t find disagreeable.
- Guiness is a great beer. Too many people assume that because its so dark it must be strong. Guiness is less than 4% and one of the lowest alcohol beers you are likely to find easily.
- Far as light beers, people drink them for the reduced calories. I buy Miller High Life, very cheap and very good for what it is. I also buy Miller Lite for the fewer calories. My wife likes Michelob Ultra because she does keto and wants the least carbs possible when she wants a beer. 2.6 carbs for Ultra vs 7 carbs in my High Life. Miller Lite gives it a run at 3.2 carbs though. Much as people want to berate these beers, most of us couldn’t brew them at home as well as these are made and none of us could brew them for what we’re buying them for.

Disagreed with probably 75% of this, but hey to each their own! The point about sours is I think misguided. I mean why would you ever eat cheese if you follow that line of thinking? I'm not a sour freak, but I picked up a bottle of Panil Barriquée sometime well before the sour craze hit (where I live at least) and was blown away. Great, refreshing, bracing beer on a summer day on the patio. I haven't been able to find it again easily, and reject all of the gross, sweet sours that are available outright.

Last edited:
sours are difficult to say what's good or bad, due to personal taste.
I love some kriek and oud bruin, but you can also get ones that are so bonedry that I can't take more than a few sips.

Disagreed with probably 75% of this, but hey to each their own! The point about sours is I think misguided. I mean why would you ever eat cheese if you follow that line of thinking? I'm not a sour freak, but I picked up a bottle of Panil Barriquée sometime well before the sour craze hit (where I live at least) and was blown away. Great, refreshing, bracing beer on a summer day on the patio. I haven't been able to find it again easily, and reject all of the gross, sweet sours that are available outright.
Panil is the best sour I have ever had. I bought one in Rome to bring back to SWMBO, and have been kicking myself ever since that I didn't buy the other 2 bottles that were available at Johnny's Off-License. Amazing sour ale and a great beer shop!

If I have to stand in line, attend a special event or wait until a special day to buy a beer that's perhaps ranked a couple points higher than the competitors on Beer Advocate, it's not worth it to me.

Yeah, I've tried Darkness, Dark Lord, Assassin, etc. They're quite good, but not "drop everything for a day and stand in line" good. I'll go to the liquor store and pick up some Old Rasputin.

There is a particular craft brewery whom I won't mention by name, but they've expanded from 1 location to 5 in the past couple of years...during Covid. Their beers are good, don't get me wrong...but it very uncommon for them to have any of their beers available in a 4 pack for less than $20. I'm looking at their website right now and they have 2 at $16 and 3 at $25 with numerous in the 20'ish bracket.

The last couple of stouts I've had from them all that a level of that diacetyl slickness that I find off-putting for me personally.

I used to be a pretty big fan, and I applaud their success. Just kinda over them, too many others out there to be explored and appreciated.

and reading the last couple of pages in this thread has made me realize that I have not had a proper pour of Guiness in ages. Need to try and rectify that soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back