MoreBeer.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
Couple things need to be said about Morebeer.com

I think in today's modern times of Yelp, Facebook, Twitter, etc., we like to share our opinions on a restaurant, shop, Lube Center, whatever. We're inspired to write sh*t when things go wrong. But very rarely are we inspired to write a glowing review.

This isn't necessarily glowing, but my Experience with MoreBeer , and its customer service, was some of the BEST I have ever had. I think a really good indicator of a company overall is its customer service. It usually comes top down, and is based on a set of values typically put in place by a company's founder. I know nothing of Morebeer's founders. But I know that Morebeer has at least ONE awesome employee....and it would stand to reason that there are many more.

So, Monday I order a California Common from MoreBeer in Concord, CA. I'm in Lodi, CA. Its 53 miles away. I had a good feeling that my ingredients would be here for the weekend, so I could brew on Saturday or Sunday.

Well Friday came along , and I had not received anything. I mean, its 53 miles away! I could have driven to my homebrew store 30 miles away. But I wanted to give them a shot. I put a call in to the general line at MoreBeer and had a convo with a dude who works there. He mentioned they have been moving to or from a new warehouse, and some stuff got messed up. He apologized.

But this is what separates good from GREAT employees. Duder called me back and said that he would personally drive the package to my home. I dont know where he lives, I dont know what he drives, I don't know how much money he makes, I dont know any of that. What I do know is that old boy jumped in his car with a late package, and hand delivered it to my door...

for one simple reason...

So I could brew on Sunday!

Dammit if that doesn't just make you feel good.

So I hope the good folks at MoreBeer read this. I hope others who own businesses read this. I hope we always remember that , yes, we all make mistakes. We're humans. But we're all in this together. It's how you respond to those mistakes that make you awesome.

Thanks MoreBeer.

New Customer for Life,
Meatwad

That's some awesome service. I'd be a lifetime customer also if I got that kind of personal service.

That is absolutely top notch service. I've experienced great service over many orders with them until just recently. Spent $2500 on a Speidel Braumeister that arrived effectively broken and had a horrible time getting the level of response warranted from this size of purchase. My very last phone call I was told that the guy who deals with Speidel only works twice a week & that there was a manger in the wine department that deals with them but he was too busy to help me. Needless to say, wasn't happy with that response and actually got my problem solved through another distributor and Speidel directly. Will I order from them again? Sure. But they won't be getting my large purchases. I don't want to be a thread crapper, just keeping it real - you can read about it in the Speidel thread if you want details...

Again, not discounting this experience -as it was top knotch service...

Thanks mako, sorry bout your experience. I'd be on high alert too with that kind of skin in the game.

Also, just as one solid employee can really make an experience great, so too can one bad employee.

I forgot to mention, not only did he drive my package out, but he put a 21st Amendment brew free or die IPA in there! Ha! It's the little things that matter most

That's great if you live next door to one of their employees. For those of us who live across the country, their free shipping takes 8 days to arrive, yes 8 days. Way faster and cheaper places to order from around here.

_

So far I have ordered from Northern Brewer, Perfect Brewing Supply, and Brew Hardware LLC. I made my first order, the Deluxe Starter kit and an extract kit from Northern Brewer, in June. I have had no issues so I can't say much on customer service, but my experience with this industry has been excellent so far. Thought I'd mention a couple more businesses.

I'm a big fan of MoreBeer. They are one of the few online retailers that will ship to an APO/FPO address. 7 days from Concord, Ca to Okinawa, Japan :ban: Great selection of ingredients and hardware, though I do stick to dry yeast for all my brews.

Now that I live out in Antioch, I've been to the store in Concord quite a few times. The guys there are great! If I've ever needed help I can just ask. They don't try to sell you on stuff you don't need. They might mention a few things that will help, but they're not pushy on anything. Which reminds me... I need to drop back in a try some of that mead that they made...

I wish I could have had good luck with them. When I tried ordering wire cages to use on my belgian bottles I wanted to get the 1000 ct quantity. They were out of that quantity on their website. I emailed customer service asking if I could get 10- 100 cts for the same price. Nope and nope. So I forget how many I got but I paid more just because they didn't have the quantity prepackaged in stock. They were more than happy to let me order 10 of the 100 ct sleeves though. Really irked me because it was such a small request in my opinion. It's not something that would cause me to swear them off as an online retailer but I still thought it was pretty crappy. Also some items I ordered went from in stock when I ordered to "oops we were out of that". My previous orders went smoothly so maybe it was due to a warehouse move or something.

I love this place. When I order equipment I usually get it next day, but grains usual take 4 to 5 days. Again love ordering from them.

just had an order with morebeer...someone on their end goofed, and i got 2 emails with deals of the day, one of them being a thermometer i've been waiting for. they promptly emailed back telling of the mistake, and i asked if they could honor the price i was emailed.

between them honoring their price, and my ability to change my order before shipping (to get rid of 1 item and add 2 items), i won't hesitate to bring morebeer my business. it was nice to work with someone instead of just getting the 'no', the fact that they owned up to a mistake, and the line of communication was great.

I use them almost exclusively. I drive into the RIverside, CA store though for all my purchases as it's only 30 minutes away. They are top notch!

I havent used the online store, but the storefront in Concord is really awful as far as customer service and their mill is sub par. They don't seem to get the business they expect and overstock. I (my fault, I blame myself) purchased yeast there that was set to expire in 2 weeks. Couple months later I went to get a specialty yeast and that too was bordering on expiration. Not really too hurt about that one, as it was a specialty yeast I doubt they can turn around quickly but I had resigned myself to go there only for specialty yeast since I don't want to ship yeast, and I wont do that again. It seems to be run by younger guys that have more interest in talking to the women that walk into the store rather than Brewers. The last straw for.this store was when my girlfriend went to mill grain for her batch, she dumped the grains in the Hopper. Right before she turned it on, some younger man came up to her and told her to read the instructions next time and turn the mill on before she puts the grain in. I was pretty furious, and asked him to show me these instructions. He then wiped the mill dust off some little label maker generated label that gets caked in dust when the machine is run once. The only real nice thing is they have a small area for my step daughter to play with some supplied legos and chalk on a chalk board, but its positioned right in front of the extract kit fridge so I constantly feel like she's getting in the way. Overall great potential arbutus the folks that are managing it during the day are really messing it up.

I haven't spent a lot of time in the Riverside store. Mostly because the only time I go there is if I happen to be in the area. It's not very well organized, but the guys there will help you find stuff no problem. One of the things I did find interesting, was the Concord store stores all of their grain that has been crushed for extract kits in the fridge, and this one does not. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it always seemed odd to me that there would be 2 different methods for storage. Riverside is a MUCH smaller store so stock isn't as good. Prices at both stores are decent. If you go to the Riverside store, come at noon and come hungry there's some good BBQ next door.

I've ordered from the MoreBeer's online store. Happy customer. If you plan ahead more than a week you can't beat their free shipping. They stock a lot of variety and prices are decent on most items but it does pay to look around as some items can be found for less elsewhere. Their paper catalogue is good bathroom reading material and their enthusiasm for making beer comes through the couple of times I've contacted them on the phone.

those that took a while to get their packages delivered did it take days to ship or just days to deliver?

i placed an order today at 12:43 and it shipped by 1:30p - this is my 3rd order with them and they've always shipped within 1 day if not same day

I had the free shipping, which as they state takes a bit longer. I also had a change in the order, which took a few days to pack...i would mind, except they were very accomodating. I would still use them again.

Usually their free shipping is fast enough but I ordered new picnic taps and beerline 2 weeks before our Oktoberfest and the package came almost a week after the party. Normally that's not a big deal but this year I had 6 kegs out and only four picnic taps which was a real PITA.

Its great that companies offer free shipping deals, but unless its something that I am not on a deadline for needing, I can't trust them enough to rely on them for anything with a time sensitive order

Normally I buy everything local, but wanting to get some pellet hops that they don't sell at my regular LHBS I did a free ship order with morebeer. I called next day to add something to my order and damn it was already waiting for the shipper to pick up. Can't complain about the free shipping here.

Normally I buy everything local, but wanting to get some pellet hops that they don't sell at my regular LHBS I did a free ship order with morebeer. I called next day to add something to my order and damn it was already waiting for the shipper to pick up. Can't complain about the free shipping here.

Oh they are definitely quick to get it out. Rereading my post above it comes off pretty dickish when there is nothing wrong with MoreBeers service with the free shipping, its once they get it into the USPS hands that you can't be quite as certain.

UPS/USPS/FEDEX is probably getting stuck on the LIE.

(something I gave up on long ago) :)

Shipping to Portland is fast.

I've only used moreBeer 2 or 3 times but already its my favorite place to order from. After looking around at all the other sites for ingredients for the my next batch (http://hopville.com/recipe/426097/i...ing-dog-raging-*****-clone-2010-12-06-version) morebeer was the cheapest one I could find. The closest one was 9 bucks more expensive before I added the shipping. My last batch I ordered some White Labs yeast with my ingredients and I guess they forgot to add it to my box because it wasn't there when I opened the package. I called them up and expected a big hassle but they just started apologizing and rush shipped me my yeast and I got it in a couple of days. +1 for awesome customer service.

Unfortunately they are out of both Amarillo and Warrior hops which I need for my recipe. I've never noticed them being out of hops before so maybe its just the time of year. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask if they expect to have more soon. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about their customer service after my conversation tomorrow.

One final reiteration from what everyone has said, their free shipping is AWESOME! Don't get me wrong, it takes a good 7-8 days to get to me but I like to plan ahead anyway so I'm prepared for that.

All in all moreBeer gets a 5/5 in my book

I had never ordered from MoreBeer (morebeer.com), but I needed a high-temperature pump and silicone hose, and they had both in stock and priced competitively - the hose was 0.40/ft less than other suppliers I checked, and as I needed 20 feet, they got my business.

Ordered a H315HF pump (their high-flow version of the March 809 w/the 815 impeller) and 20 feet of 1/2" ID high-temp silicone hose Thursday 3/29, and it was on my doorstep Monday 4/2 when I got home from work (UPS Ground, CA to WA). Shipping cost was reasonable for the size and weight of the package, everything was packed well and arrived safely, and it looks like they included about 1.5 feet of extra hose. According to UPS, the order was shipped the same day I placed it.

To summarize - fast order processing and shipping, no hassles, everything as expecting. I'd use them again.

I ordered a CO2 splitter from them. One of the shut-offs was bad in the open position which I found out after losing a tank of gas. I called them, they sent me out a new one, which I had two days later, along with a $20 gift card to cover the lost tank of gas.
Solid in my book.

I just placed my first order with them last week. Got my package yesterday afternoon well-packaged and on-time. They even had some of the harder to find items I was looking for!

I've been happy every time I've bought from them and I'll definitely use them again.
Anyone else use their LME though? I went through 20lbs of it in several different batches and my OG always seemed to come up a lot shorter than it should have, in comparison to other brands of LME I've used. Yeah yeah, mixing top off water it's hard to get an accurate reading and all that I know, but I've never had this problem with Briess or Muntons they always come up right where they should. Anybody else?

So I placed an order wiht More Beer last satruday. I typically order most of my stuff from NB, but figured id give MOreBeer a shot, see if there shipping was any quicker to me.

I put together a sizeable order.....about $250, and used their "free shipping"

So though the week i was thinking ....hmmmm....havent received an email that my stuff had shipped yet.....but slipped my mind to check on it til i reviceived an email saying.....

"Thank you for your order. I am writing a follow-up email to the shipping delay notification we sent on 4/20/2012........"

So ill stop there, as i had to double check my calendar to realize that today is 4/20.

So apparently out of the 15 or so items i ordered, one was out of stock....so they needed to know if it was ok to the ship the order and send the other item when it was received......

So i picked up the phone to contact service.....the answer was well sir if you read our website it says it may take 2-4 days for us to process your order.......

So it was no use explaining that it was the END of the 5th day that they notified me.

So much for a new vendor. I waited a full week for the order to be processed, now it will likely take a full week to receive the order.

I've had the same issues with them.

Placed an order for few items and didn't hear anything for a week. I called them and was told one of the hops was on backorder and they were waiting for it to come in. I don't know why they didn't email me and asked me off I wanted to sub for a different hop.

This is why Northern Brewer gets most of my business. If you offer free shipping.....well you get what you pay for:cross:

Northern Brewer had always got my business.....figured i try out more beer. i was more surprised by the "corporate" type responses i got from customer service than i was by the delay in shipping.

I haved screw up's with orders from northern brewer and they are top notch to deal with on the phone.....

Same issue this week. Customer service was nice about it, but I'll think twice next time I'm anxious to get something. I'd be more mad if the weather wasn't going to kill my brew day this weekend anyway.

Back