More Corny keg ?'s from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisBulldog

Reaction score
Wow- it's so shiny and new!

Lubing the o-rings is a good idea. It's probably not necessary all the time, but it keeps the o-rings supple and prevents them from cracking and drying out as well as helps make a good seal in the keg. I usually use a dab each time, if I remember.

I only lube mine after cleaning and sanitizing. The lube will stay on pretty well if you just need to disconnect and reconnect.

Hey that reminds me of something else, after I run MT, can I just refill or do I need to clean the keg each time I fill up?

I always take apart and clean and sanitize the kegs between each fill. It only takes a few minutes. Once you pull off a poppit and look at the crud caked in there, you'll see why. Take out the long ("out") diptube and hold it up to the light. There will be crud caked in there, too. You definitely don't have to, but I think it's good practice for better beer to do that after every keg.

Against all the advice here I never use keg lube and only strip the cornie once every 5 or 6 brews. I clean the keg with regular washing up liquid and water and sanitise with a videne solution ensuring all internal surfaces of the keg come into contact with the solution (takes 1 minute of rotating the keg through 360 degrees at most). Never had an issue yet.

Against all the advice here I never use keg lube and only strip the cornie once every 5 or 6 brews. I clean the keg with regular washing up liquid and water and sanitise with a videne solution ensuring all internal surfaces of the keg come into contact with the solution (takes 1 minute of rotating the keg through 360 degrees at most). Never had an issue yet.

Good advice, Cheers!

I know I'm going to get shot down for not using keg lube but I run 12 kegs and have never yet had to replace any seals. Once the keg is filled, hit it with 30PSI and purge a couple of times then force carb as normal. It's that 30PSI that's needed to make the seal, not 'lube'. I've not yet had to replace any seals on my kegs despite the lack of lube and believe me, they get some stick!

Against all the advice here I never use keg lube and only strip the cornie once every 5 or 6 brews.
Oddly enough, that is nearly what I recommend. I do like using a small dab of keg lube after stripping and cleaning, though.

However, I don't recommend "regular washing up liquid" or dish soap. Use hot water and a Star San rinse. For stubborn spots, use Oxi Clean followed by a thorough rinse and Star San.

The lube is really used to extend the shelf life of the rubber not so much to aid in sealing. With that said, a supple o-ring has more flexibility to it and can seal the keg easier by conforming to the inner lip of the keg. :mug:

Back