Monroe hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Has anyone used these gr Monroe hops? I bought some, but not sure what to use them for. There very low alpha. I was thinking about pairing them with huell melon in a blonde or a hefe. Any ideas?

I doubt many people will have even heard of Monroe, let alone used them. But personally when I get a new hop I like to make a really simple SMaSH-ish beer, even if it's just one or two gallons, just to get to know what it's like on its own. So I wouldn't do anything with too much yeast or malt character, just pilsner or 2-row and a fairly clean yeast - a helles or golden ale, something like that.

The official description talks of "raspberry notes supplimented with orange syrup and added to this in the taste is the sweet taste that reminds one of summer and cherries". My first thought on reading that is that your second beer should be a mild or dunkel.

I'm currently drinking a Belgium beer who is using SAAZ en MONROE hops together, being from Belgium its the first time i drink this beer and i have to admit that i like this beer. There is a website "http://www.hapkin.be/en/" reading the Disclaimer on the website brings us to "Brouwerijen Alken-Maes NV" in Belgium. I knew HAPKIN beer from the past, but this beer is different, just wondering where it comes from, why did the brewery change the ingredients of this beer ? Anyhow i do like the extra hops in this beer.

Well, my Monroe hopped beer turned out pretty good, but I didn't get much from them. I was going through my freezer though, taking inventory of all the hops and stuff that I've bought over the past few months (I went a little crazy there) . Anyways, I've got a half lb to use up. Maybe try to do an IPL or something this winter, to get a better idea of what these hops can contribute. Man, I found a few other things I forgot I ordered. I might have to get creative just to get some of this stuff used up.

I used it once, ~70g on a 18l batch, boiled it only for 5 min.
It was a amber ale with an English yeast, I only got a hint of it, but that hint was good. Definitely got some cherry notes.
My tip would be to use a lot if you want to taste it.

I'd just throw in all at the end of the boil. You can still use some other bitter hop. It worked well with Perle for me. From what I experienced this combines well with Amber ales, so I wouldn't do a real smash. But hey, whatever floats your goat, right?

@Joewalla88 I ended up with some Monroe in my freezer (some Mandarina Bavaria as well). Not sure if you still remember what you ended up doing with these and how they turned out. There still really isn't much out there on them...which may not be the greatest sign haha

I feel like I've used them a couple times now. They weren't bad, but not super memorable either. I think I made a cranberry blonde with then that people really liked though.

I just spent a pile of money on some Strata and Nelson so I had to balance it out by buying some cheaper new varieties :p

So I also ordered 250 grams (about 9oz) of the 2020 crop of Monroe for about 10 dollars.
No idea what I will do with them yet but my first thoughts are a wheat pale ale.
I'll report back when I have brewed something.

I also got the same amount of another hop called Tango for about 7 bucks.
Not on general release until next year so I only have the commercial blurb to go on but sounds like a traditional German hop with a little bit of a berry-like kick to it. Hopefully it's not too mild and I can make a nice hoppy SMASH with it.

https://www.lfl.bayern.de/mam/cms07/ipz/dateien/tango__the_new_huell_aroma_hop_cultivar_.pdf

Last edited:
Old thread, but no need to start over! I'm interested in the Monroe hops. @Shenanigans if you see this, how were they?

I'm interested in something for an ESB to give it a little bit of a berry flavor without adding berries. I'll ferment the ESB yeast a little warmer next time to get some fruit from it but am interested in a hops for it too. No it won't be an ESB but that's fine.

Anyone else used Monroe and if so what did you think?

Old thread, but no need to start over! I'm interested in the Monroe hops. @Shenanigans if you see this, how were they?

I'm interested in something for an ESB to give it a little bit of a berry flavor without adding berries. I'll ferment the ESB yeast a little warmer next time to get some fruit from it but am interested in a hops for it too. No it won't be an ESB but that's fine.

Anyone else used Monroe and if so what did you think?

Hi tracer,

I didn't use them yet; I had a lot going on in the Summer so haven't brewed in over 5 months.
First up are a few IPAs this weekend.
That will tie up my taps for a few months so in November I might brew something like a hoppy Saison with Monroe.

Back