Mold after transferring to a secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarker777

Reaction score
I transferred to a secondary for the first time yesterday and today looking at it through my bigmouth bubbler I and pretty sure it had grown mold. It is an oatmeal stout and my third beer. I added Vanilla and cinnamon to the kit if that makes a difference but I added them during boil so that should not be a source of contamination. If it is mold is it salvageable?

Mold doesn't generally grow that fast, but if you have headspace in the carboy, other oxygen loving bacteria and yeasts can definitely take hold, as well as mold.

Mold doesn't generally grow that fast, but if you have headspace in the carboy, other oxygen loving bacteria and yeasts can definitely take hold, as well as mold.

Any suggestions on what to do? And I can't get a good photo due to the lighting in that room.

I would base it on smell and taste. If it indeed does have mold, not much you can do. Often times when racking over to a secondary, yeast stirs up a bit creating a "secondary" ferment. This can also stir up excess, off colored hop, trub, protein particles that can be confused as mold.

I would base it on smell and taste. If it indeed does have mold, not much you can do. Often times when racking over to a secondary, yeast stirs up a bit creating a "secondary" ferment. This can also stir up excess, off colored hop, trub, protein particles that can be confused as mold.

I have a feeling that's what it is. The smell is that of beer and co2 which I feel is what it should be. Only reason I say co2 is it tingles my nose like co2.

Back