White “stuff” in CO2 line during transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the early stages of my first closed transfer. I just completed a purge of my kegs. (Filled to top with star San. Push star San out with CO2 and keep keg pressured up.) during this transfer, I noticed small bits of white “chunks” or “flakes” passing through the CO2 line to the keg. I watched closely and I’m pretty sure it looked like they melted/evaporated when they would get caught up at the intake on the keg side. This was a freshly filled CO2 tank and no, I don’t use food grade CO2 (sorry).

Couple questions:
Anyone know for sure what I was seeing?
Should I keg on top of that? (Haven’t done it yet and have a few extra kegs and a different CO2 tank if I need to make changes.)

I have two batches ready to go and I really don’t want to foul up my entire pipeline.

TIA

Cheers!!

My guess is your regulator made a little bit of dry ice. If so, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't restrict the flow of gaseous CO2.

fwiw, I have on occasion brought a freshly fill CO2 cylinder home, still totally frosted, re-connected it to whichever of my 3 systems it came from, and immediately had regulation issues.

I had always attributed it to atmospheric humidity that made it into the regulator while it was disconnected that turned into ice flakes and jammed up the tiny hole in the regulator valve as it always cleared up in short order, though I will say that when I changed my swap procedure to vent the cylinder valve in a single short blast before attaching the regulator I never had that regulation problem again, which would suggest the issue originated in the tank.

Since I bought a 20 pound siphon tank and do my own fills I haven't had that problem. Which makes things that much more confused ;)

Cheers!

Ok. I’m going to green light my beer transfer I think. I was worried I had some sort of debris in my tank that would end up in the final product.

Back