Mixing Cali Common with Other Lager Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizBrew

Reaction score
I am finishing up a Maibock of which I used 2 packs of Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. I have been using ambient temperatures in my garage to do the Maibock. Over the last week, it has gotten progressively warmer but other than a day at 64 degrees the beer fermented at the low end of lager range, so success:rockin:

Anyway, since it is starting to warm up, but only a little and mostly during the day, I thought I might just make a steam beer and rack onto the maibock cake. I would also pitch the Wyeast 2112 California Lager to add to the party. My thought is that the 2206 could do it's business at night or during the lower end of the temp range, and the 2112 could use the warmer temps, which should be more common over the next couple of weeks.

So, is my logic OK here? Will the 2206 give off flavors if brought into a higher temp range for too long? Will the 2112 die if I get it down too cold (like 40s) at night? Will they taste OK and work OK together? What do ye think?:mug:

Interesting logic, I would get into trouble to touch anything close to an answer for you though, maybe ask the yeast experts that sell them?

What size batch are you doing? Racking over the existing yeast cake AND pitching some Cali lager could easily be overpitching.

What size batch are you doing? Racking over the existing yeast cake AND pitching some Cali lager could easily be overpitching.

I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. I am surprised that you think that is over pitching. I under pitched when starting the Maibock with only one pack (added a second on day 3)but was finding that most people either pitch two or three smack packs or a giant starter for lagers. Are Cali Commons different? My Maibock took 3 days to start so I thought that It would be better to do this one with a big pitch. It is my first Steam Beer.:cross:

I'd suggest plugging your figures into the mr malty yeast pitching rates calculator to find out what you have, and what you'll need.

Back