Mixed ales sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hole

Reaction score
I had a yeast cake from a roselare blend fermentation that I desided to utilise by dumping leftover beer into. I have fed it an helles bock, a Dipa and an old amber ale. And now after a period og fermentation I need to emty another keg containing an ale fermented with brux trois.

Now what I wonder is have anyone here tried something like this? And know what to expekt.
I'm guessing litle souring since there is a rater high ibu compared to a regular sour beer.
I have not sampeled it yet, because it's still young. But I guess I shuld taste it now before adding the new beer Just to get an idea og what it migt become.

Good idea to taste before adding something that could clash (or be a waste)! Pediococcus is likely going to be the main souring microbe at work, it is relatively hop-tolerant, so you may get good acidity.

I did taste and the taste was somewhat simple but good. But the aroma was Great, alot like the roselare sour that originaly was in the carboy. Not to bitter as I was afraid of. I desided to ad the 5 liters of the new beer as IT shuld ad some interesting depth and complexety. Could be interesting given time to sour a litle.

Back