Mission Accomplished! First full Keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I just filled and pressurized my first cornie with 5 gallons of Blonde Ale. I put the pressure of my tank at 20 and purged the Keg of O2 and achieved a good seal. Do I leave all the co2 in the extra air space?

Reaction score
are you flash carbing (high pressure for a few days) or gradually carbing (serving pressure until its carbed). If you're flash carbing, then once carbed you'll need to turn pressure down to serving pressure and off gas

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
When I fill my keg, I do the same as you did, but then turn off the gas and pull the pressure relief valve. I then refill with co2 and do it again. It "purges" the headspace in there, since co2 is heavier than oxygen. I do a final blast of co2, then stick it in the kegerator to carb up. I keep it on a high pressure (30 psi) for about three days, then purge and set to 12 psi for serving and keeping it carbonated.

OP
O

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I hit it with 20 psi, then purged the O2. Then hit it with 20 again making sure the o2 is gone.

Keep in mind too, I primed with sugar.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, if you're not force carbing, then as long as the keg is sealed you'll be fine. Sometimes you have to hit it with a little co2 to seal properly. It's good to keep that co2 in the headspace.