Partially full keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmacd16

Reaction score
I have a carbonated keg approximately half full that I have to disconnect to carbonate a beer I just fermwhted(timing didn’t work out)

Am I ok to disconnect the carbonated keg and store? Do I have to purge head space or leave alone after unplugging from the c02?

Thank you

just unplug and set it aside. it will be no different if you left it hooked up and didn't drink from it for a week or 2.

Yup.

I brew 10 gallons to kegs, so there's always a keg that sits in a conditioning fridge waiting until its partner kicks. A few months ago I swapped out a kick for its partner - and discovered it had flattened quite a bit, probably lost a third or even half of its carbonation.

Found it had a leaky gas poppet that I should have checked when I took that keg off gas after it had fully carbonated. Gave it a quick poke and verified it sealed tight, then used the "shake 'n' bake" (aka "rock 'n' roll) rapid carbonation method to quickly (but safely) get it servable. Of course, that stirred up what had settled out and it took a couple of weeks to clear up again...

Cheers!

The one I’m taking off will not be cold as I don’t have the room in the fridge. Is this ok?

Back