Mission Accomplished! First full Keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I just filled and pressurized my first cornie with 5 gallons of Blonde Ale. I put the pressure of my tank at 20 and purged the Keg of O2 and achieved a good seal. Do I leave all the co2 in the extra air space?

are you flash carbing (high pressure for a few days) or gradually carbing (serving pressure until its carbed). If you're flash carbing, then once carbed you'll need to turn pressure down to serving pressure and off gas

When I fill my keg, I do the same as you did, but then turn off the gas and pull the pressure relief valve. I then refill with co2 and do it again. It "purges" the headspace in there, since co2 is heavier than oxygen. I do a final blast of co2, then stick it in the kegerator to carb up. I keep it on a high pressure (30 psi) for about three days, then purge and set to 12 psi for serving and keeping it carbonated.

I hit it with 20 psi, then purged the O2. Then hit it with 20 again making sure the o2 is gone.

Keep in mind too, I primed with sugar.

Oh, if you're not force carbing, then as long as the keg is sealed you'll be fine. Sometimes you have to hit it with a little co2 to seal properly. It's good to keep that co2 in the headspace.

Back