Missing OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If your not hitting your OG in a extract kit what can be the possible cause of this.
The first kit i did i missed my og and just wanted to find possible reasons.

If you are following the directions with proper volumes it isn't really possible to miss your og. If you are tipping off in the fermenter your wort and warmer are stratified and that is why your measurements are off.

What jekeane said. If you have the correct volumes it should match the directions. A lack of adequate mixing does nothing harmful to the beer but can result in a lower gravity reading.

I think that was the problem, i topped off to 5 gallon with water and didnt mix before i took reading. In future i will siphon some wort into my test tube and use hydrometer in there instead of in fermenting bucket, and give it a good mix first.

I think that was the problem, i topped off to 5 gallon with water and didnt mix before i took reading. In future i will siphon some wort into my test tube and use hydrometer in there instead of in fermenting bucket, and give it a good mix first.

Save yourself some time and frustration and just go with what the kit says the OG is. It is very difficult to mix the wort concentrate with the top off water. When you decide to go all grain you have the chance to miss your expected OG with efficiency issues but you simple can't miss with extract unless you use the wrong volume of water.

BTW. when are you planning to go all grain?:D

Even with pulling a sample, it's hard to mix it enough. Just assume it's correct.

I've never had a problem when I stirred. - My kitchen sink has a hose that extends so I can stir and fill at the same time. I once didn't stir and had an OG of 75 on a 45 beer... - that's because I draw from the bottom, not the top. But again, stir for accurate gravity, and to get more O2 in. Yeah I know you can't get better that like 4.5ppm but for smaller beers (40-50) that is generally ok. I'm trying to make something I like, not something to win competitions.

Save yourself some time and frustration and just go with what the kit says the OG is. It is very difficult to mix the wort concentrate with the top off water. When you decide to go all grain you have the chance to miss your expected OG with efficiency issues but you simple can't miss with extract unless you use the wrong volume of water.

BTW. when are you planning to go all grain?:D

I second this. Don't bother if your volumes are correct.

Back