Missed Ingredient in my Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
I did a Wee Heavy last week and Im going through my notes from the brew session and I found that I completely forgot to add the Lyles Golden Syrup like I had wanted to add. Hell I went as far as forgetting to purchase it, it was on my list of things to get.

Its still in primary right now and Im getting to move it to the secondary tomorrow. So my question is if I was to go ahead and add the Lyles Syrup and pitch some more yeast would there be anything I can expect ? Being as its a Wee Heavy Im looking for the ABV to be near the 8.5% to 9.0% range and my thinking is with the missing fermentable sugars I may fall short. Would this be a true statement ?

If your yeast is already pitched, then I would not pitch any more.

If you are going to add the syrup, I would boil it with a small quantity of water, just to maintain sanitation through the process of the addition. The left over yeast in secondary should be able to eat that simple sugar relatively easily. You might have to leave it alone for a couple more months, but I have a feeling you already expected a longer than normal fermentation time.

Don't mess with it. Just drink it and make note how it comes out. Next time, add it and see if it makes a difference. The last time I made my Coffee Porter, I forgot to add the coffee malt. No reason to risk infection, so I am drinking it, but it is missing the extra roasted flovor the malt contributes. So now I am prepareing to brew it again and this time I will remember. But this has given me a chance to see how little incremental changes really affect the beer.

Add it to the primary, adding syrup late is a common technique for brewing with sugars in higher gravity beers.

Back