Mini Fridge Thermostat Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalmah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have have a Nucool mini fridge (no freezer compartment and 2 fans) and a STC-1000 I use for ale fermentation. I would like to do lagering but it I can't get it to go lower than about about 38F. I'm wondering if this is all the fridge has got or if the internal thermostat is preventing it from getting colder. Has anybody modified the internal thermostat of a fridge to allow to get colder? I was going to take it apart and tinker with it, but I thought I would seek some advice first.

I have have a Nucool mini fridge (no freezer compartment and 2 fans) and a STC-1000 I use for ale fermentation. I would like to do lagering but it I can't get it to go lower than about about 38F. I'm wondering if this is all the fridge has got or if the internal thermostat is preventing it from getting colder. Has anybody modified the internal thermostat of a fridge to allow to get colder? I was going to take it apart and tinker with it, but I thought I would seek some advice first.

You can try modifying the thermostat set screw. Every model is different, so you'll have to do some investigating. I modified my Haier kegerator's thermostat as it wasn't getting a liquid temp below 42 degrees F. A 1/4 turn counter clockwise on the set screw did the trick for me.

Here's a related thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/g...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Judging by your statement of 2 fans, is it a thermoelectric fridge? If so, you are lucky you can get to 38°F. They are usually only good for about 15°F below ambient. If you want to lager you need a compressor fridge or freezer.

Back