Whirlpool mini fridge conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquistorff

Reaction score
Hello, I finished up my little mini fridge kegerator conversion today. It's a whirlpool 4.3 Cu FT mini fridge that i had collecting dust in the garage. The thermostat light combo had to be removed so that the freezer coil could be bent down. I also designed a mount and housing for a cheap stc-1000 since the mechanical thermostat was garbage. It can hold a co2 and 2 5 gallon ball lock corny kegs inside. if you had the co2 tank outside it could probably take another 2.5 gallon corny also.

Attachments

• Whirlpool 4.3 minifridge.jpg
    Whirlpool 4.3 minifridge.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I have been wanting to do that to mine, but am afraid to bend the freezer shelf as I hear if you puncture the pipe it renders the whole unit useless.
That was actually my big fear with this project too. The bend wasn't to bad, I just went slow and tried to keep support around the pipe and coil connection. If I was buying one new for this project I probably would have gotten the non freezer mode. I think I paid about $150 for it on sale at Target This one. The other problem ended up being that the mechanical thermostat and light housing is in the way of coil and a 2nd corny keg. That is the main reason for the stc-1000, it's smaller, more accurate and out of the way.

If you go slow you can bend it down without issue. Just make such it's plenty warm, metal will be a little more flexible.

but it's a one and done thing.

Back