Mill St. Cobblestone Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone had Cobblestone Stout from Mill St. Brewery? I recently had it in a bar and have been craving it ever since. I have yet to see it in stores, so I want to try to make it myself.

I found a recipe on beertools.com, but not knowing a lot about recipe creation I don't know if it would work. The beer definitely has some roasty, chocolate flavours, which I see is covered in the recipe with the chocolate malt and roasted barley. If anyone who has tried Cobblestone (or anyone for that matter) could comment on how this recipe looks that would be great.

6.75 lbs American 2-row info
1 lbs Roasted Barley info
.6 lbs American Chocolate Malt info
.3125 lbs American Black Patent info
1 lbs Barley Flaked info
.75 oz Northern Brewer (Pellets, 9.6 %AA) boiled 70 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 1084 Irish Ale™

BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Cobblestone Stout

Thanks!

Bump

I'm planning to pick up the ingredients for this recipe this week, can anyone tell me if this could be stretched to make a 5.5 gallon batch (the recipe is for 5)?

Hey Rubes - I've had this beer at Gambrinus here in London, ON, and at the brew pub in the distillery district - albeit quite a while ago now.

As I recall, it was a really nice beer, an extremely smooth example of a stout - a full pound of roasted barley is going to give you a very prominent roast flavour, not what you're looking for with this beer. I'd cut that down at least to half that amount - chocolate and black patent seem to be more inline with what I recall about this beer. Also, reading they're website, it seems like they use some late addition hops, maybe EKG?

As you know though, it's going to be tough to truly recreate this beer without a stout tap and nitro/beer gas.

You could also try emailing Mill St. Brewery for tips?

Let us know how it works out...

Thanks a lot, I'll take your advice and cut down the roasted barley. This one has been put on the back burner for now though, as I have a couple of other brews lined up before this one. I'll update this thread when I make it.

Back