Mild Rust on new brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2539

Reaction score
So I just got my new blichmann 10 Gal. boilermaker. Love the construction of it and it's one hell of a brew kettle. Just have a few questions maybe you guys can help me with. I just did a test boil on it using an old turkey fryer burner with an LP gas regulator. The kettle had some mild sooting on the bottom of it that was fairly easily cleaned off. On the inside there was a bit of a ring left around where the water was filled to. I dried off the kettle after I was done and then cleaned it the next day. I noticed some tiny spots on the bottom of the pot that didn't come off until I used a scrub pad. These spots were a light copper color. Is this rust or just a normal occurrence of boiling tap water? I did boil my immersion cooler during the test as well. Is it possible some of the oxides left on the chiller could have spotted my kettle? How many of you guys scrub your blichmanns with green scrub pads? Is this a bad practice?

I don't have a blichmanns but I can't see why a green scruby would hurt stainless. If you use Bar Keepers Friend powder or some other type of oxalic acid scrub it does wonders on stainless. It will take off the rust and any sort of oxidation, allow the stainless to re-coat itself with a layer of chromium oxide.

Back