Mexican Cake Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking back on yesterday, I'm not sure Westbrook could have changed much about the release to make it work out any better. They received unprecedented demand and did a good job getting people in and out with their bottles efficiently. These guys were seriously busting their asses to get people through the line and were sweating as much as anyone who had been standing outside. It's also not like they had to turn away hundreds of people -- the line had dwindled to a few dozen by the time they ran out, and there will be plenty of options for local pickup before long.

Thanks again for these comments...I was the guy dripping sweat all over everyone while breaking apart the cases into 6pk

WB specifically announced that people were not allowed to get back in line to get more bottles at ~5pm. So they probably only double sold to anyone if they didn't realize the person had already been through line, but then again it's not like they were marking people's foreheads with a black X after they'd bought their first six.

Pretty much anyone that was in line by 5:30 received up to a 6-bottle limit (after we found the 'hiding cases' under the table). We had discussed marking people as they went through the line but it didn't matter in the end as I know some people made it through the line twice before it was sold out (at which point the line had completely dissipated).

Just read through it and holy **** are you right. I feel bad for rbradley (who is easily one of the nicest and most generous guys I've met in beer;, does nothing but offer pours of great stuff to you for no other reason than you're friendly and don't give him or the breweries he's helping out a hard time) for having to deal with that crap over there.

Thanks Julian...and no worries about taking any heat from people at these releases. Partly why I choose to volunteer for these things as I don't mind taking the abuse nor putting someone straight if needed.

To be clear, by "over there" I meant the BA forums, not at Westbrook. In fact I've been to three releases at WB and I've never seen any bad behavior (although maybe something has happened i wasn't around for).

To be clear, by "over there" I meant the BA forums, not at Westbrook. In fact I've been to three releases at WB and I've never seen any bad behavior (although maybe something has happened i wasn't around for).

Yeah...it happens as Westbrook, too...at the end of a release line or event (you can infer from there what the discussion entails)

Local store is selling Mexican Cake at $19 a bottle (they were holding me one, I told them to forget it) and $21 a 64oz growler fill. Does this make logic?

I read on the other site that someone picked up a case (6 bottle limit) of Mexican Cake yesterday at the brewery.. Does anyone know if they really still have it? I would consider the 4 hr drive if so.. lol

The pre-complaining on the Bro-Channel about the hypothetical BA Mexican Cake release that hasn't even been announced yet would be all kinds of hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

The pre-complaining on the Bro-Channel about the hypothetical BA Mexican Cake release that hasn't even been announced yet would be all kinds of hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.
I know right. So lame.

Last edited:
"Westbrook sucks...they owe me some bottles.....they should hold some bottles for me and wait unti I drive 3000 miles..yadda...yadda...yadda." Same people that did on reg MC release/thread. Ignore is a great option.

Did any of you guys drink a bottle yet? I had one last night and there was significantly less spice than last year.

I agree. I had it on draft and from the bottle and thought both were less spicy than last year. I heard they did two batches, one for kegs and one for bottles. I've seen a lot of people complain about this but I like it better with less spice myself. I thought coffee cake was much better than last year as well.

I agree. I had it on draft and from the bottle and thought both were less spicy than last year. I heard they did two batches, one for kegs and one for bottles. I've seen a lot of people complain about this but I like it better with less spice myself. I thought coffee cake was much better than last year as well.
Interesting...

It takes the Mexican out of the Mexican Cake, in a way.

Same experience last night. Had on tap at the Double Windsor in Brooklyn. Got a lot of "donut" flavor with less pepper than usual.

Bottles were more reminiscent of some of the other less spicy Mexican-style stouts (Huna, Abraxas, etc.). VERY heavy on the cinnamon. I liked the balance on draft between the peppers and other flavors.

Coffee cake was really, really nice this year.

Whats the ticket to them getting back to the spice/heat that the 2013 Cakes had? Haven't had this years, but 2015s were pretty mundane across the board in comparison.

Next BA release?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

;)

Pure speculation: one of the next 3 Saturdays (so sometime in October), ticketed like last year (seemed to work well, heard from one of the guys at WB that they liked how it went), ticket link dropped on social media a few days beforehand. Of course they could completely change things up and that will all be totally wrong. But I'd be a bit surprised if it dragged into November, unless they feel the beer needs more time.

Looks like cabarnet barrel-aged is one of the variants this year, given that a keg of it was tapped during Charleston Beer Week. No idea on the others, but I'd guess "Bourbon" (or something like that) will be one of them. There's supposedly (based on observations of the barrel room) a Blis maple syrup barrel variant, but that could very well be on-site only like the Chocolate Bourbon and Pappy from last year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

;)

Pure speculation: one of the next 3 Saturdays (so sometime in October), ticketed like last year (seemed to work well, heard from one of the guys at WB that they liked how it went), ticket link dropped on social media a few days beforehand. Of course they could completely change things up and that will all be totally wrong. But I'd be a bit surprised if it dragged into November, unless they feel the beer needs more time.

Looks like cabarnet barrel-aged is one of the variants this year, given that a keg of it was tapped during Charleston Beer Week. No idea on the others, but I'd guess "Bourbon" (or something like that) will be one of them. There's supposedly (based on observations of the barrel room) a Blis maple syrup barrel variant, but that could very well be on-site only like the Chocolate Bourbon and Pappy from last year.
No clue on the release date. But my buddy who is close to some at the brewery confirmed about a month or so ago to me that Cabernet and Bourbon are definitely two of the releases. They do have the Blis maple syrup variant, but it's pretty small yield (like the Pappy), so would expect it to be on site, unless they decide to put it in 375ml like they did with Can Can Cerise.

Someone who works at the brewery, responding to posts/speculation on Facebook:

"The online thing is going to happen again. Made our lives much easier."

If they want to continue with the bad weather/hurricane tradition, they'll have it this weekend. ;)
Hopefully they wait until the 22nd for my sake. Got dat gang bang on the 15th. Yeah, last year you nearly had to swim into the brewery so if they wanna keep that up this weekend may be the time lol.

Hopefully they wait until the 22nd for my sake. Got dat gang bang on the 15th. Yeah, last year you nearly had to swim into the brewery so if they wanna keep that up this weekend may be the time lol.

First two years weren't exactly a picnic weather wise, although obviously last year was something else entirely. I don't think it's ever been released on a sunny day.

Was the link off their website last year or broadcasted via instagram?

Posted on social media from what I recall, fairly nonchalantly with no warning (which was a good idea: tickets lasted roughly an hour and there was no mad rush that clobbered the BPT system). Their FB page seems like their most active/frequently updated social media source, so I'd just follow that.

Guessing it's not this weekend. ;)

When/what are you in Charleston for? Might come down to touch tips if you have time, release or not.

In Charleston for my honeymoon so as much as I would love to meet up I don't know if that's super feasible. In Charleston next Tues/Weds, Savannah Thurs, Pawleys Friday, and flying out Saturday afternoon

In Charleston for my honeymoon so as much as I would love to meet up I don't know if that's super feasible. In Charleston next Tues/Weds, Savannah Thurs, Pawleys Friday, and flying out Saturday afternoon

Ahh yeah, that makes it a little tougher. Well if they do release BA Cake next weekend and you do run over, I'll try to slip you the tip on your way out the door.

Ahh yeah, that makes it a little tougher. Well if they do release BA Cake next weekend and you do run over, I'll try to slip you the tip on your way out the door.

Yeah if we do a Westbrook visit next Saturday I'll def give you a heads up

Yeah if we do a Westbrook visit next Saturday I'll def give you a heads up
I'm in for this tip-to-tip action.

Posted on social media from what I recall, fairly nonchalantly with no warning (which was a good idea: tickets lasted roughly an hour and there was no mad rush that clobbered the BPT system). Their FB page seems like their most active/frequently updated social media source, so I'd just follow that.

Guessing it's not this weekend. ;)

Thank you Sir!

Not BA Cake, but this is coming soon too:

CvMXmBLUIAAFlQ0.jpg:large

Maximum adjuncticity.

Not BA Cake, but this is coming soon too:

CvMXmBLUIAAFlQ0.jpg:large

Maximum adjuncticity.
It's getting Westbrook's distro in NC (and, I believe, SC) to much happiness from us NC folks. It's not a massive amount, not as much as what would normally be a huge batch of IBB, so I think it'll probably get the same distro as stuff like perfect nose (though, way more of this).

It's also really really ****ing good

I'm in for this tip-to-tip action.

Also sorry I couldn't make this work. We did wind up going on Saturday for a flight, but it was super last minute. We wound up leaving Pawleys slightly earlier than expected Saturday morning and had some time to kill. The wife was recovering from a cold so we were in and out of there in about 30 minutes. Next time!

srs we loved Pawleys/Charleston and are definitely coming back...or if y'all are ever up in the NYC area let me know!

Back