Metabisulfite in Soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_doctor42

Reaction score
I'm a long time homebrewer and just decided to make some soda for my upcoming wedding - a (nonalcoholic) ginger beer.

I came up with the following recipe:
6lbs of Ginger, chopped
4lbs of dark sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 8 limes

Heat in 5 gallons of water to 160F, then chill and leave for a few days in a carboy, then filter, keg and carbonate.

My question is, should I be adding something like potassium metabisulfite to prevent spontaneous fermentation? I sanitize everything with Star san, but not sure if more is needed. I plan to be serving the soda in about 3 weeks time. The brewer in me is just nervous about leaving around 5 gallons of unfermented sugary syrup I guess!

You're going to keep it three weeks it a keg in the fridge before serving? That seems like a long time but it might be just fine. Everything will be sanitized and then kept cold so it should be okay. I probably wouldn't make it three weeks in advance, though.

Thanks! I'm not going to have much free time over the next 3 weeks, that's why it's so early. I'll post on how it turns out for future reference!

Natural yeast is ubiquitous. Id say it's better to be safe than sorry. You may be making sanitized batch, but it's not sterile.

I'm sure the high osmolarity and acid content will prevent significant growth, but I don't think I would take a chance. Not for a wedding anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Refrigerated you will be fine, though your ginger flavor may fade a bit.

If left for 3 weeks at room temp, it will ferment.

Why are you leaving it in a carboy? I thought you wanted this to be non-alcoholic?

I'd skip the carboy and hot fill your keg. This way if you heat it hot enough, you can reasonably be sure that no bacteria or wild yeast is living inside. Just turn it upside down for a few minutes after filling and sealing.

After that I give it a good ~35psi shot of CO2 and purge. But remember, as your keg cools the pressure will likely drop to a vacuum, so you can either leave the gas connected, or trust your seals. If your seals fail under negative pressure you can risk an infection/fermentation.

Back