Mesh Strainer Off Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
So, I googled and googled and couldn't find a clear answer anywhere about this. I'm wondering about a mesh strainer that I've recently made, but haven't used yet.

I made a manifold using wire mesh, it's main purpose being straining hops from the boil kettle, as not to clog up my plate chiller.

It's made of plain old wire mesh that's used for screen doors. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs on it, just that it's a pliable mesh made of what seems to be steel. I made it into a shape that would cover a lot of surface area, giving little chance for clogs.

My question is, would there be any chance that this would give me off flavors or be dangerous to have in the kettle for the duration of the boil?

Absolutely. If it's regular steel, it will rust. If it's galvanized, it could be poisonous. No way you want to use it unless it's stainless or aluminum. I'd try to find out what the screen is made of, and not use it until you do.

Thanks for the advice! Glad I didn't ruin a batch.

So how about this? What if I filtered hops from the kettle using my mesh BIAB bag? I just got a mash tun so the bag is now pretty much useless to me, so would that bag be okay in the boil?

I don't see why not. Might be slightly more difficult to maneauver, but as long as it's sanitized, I'd say it's definitely ok to do.

I'm still a noob so I could be wrong, but what you just said seems like it'd make perfect sense.

Thanks for the advice! Glad I didn't ruin a batch.

So how about this? What if I filtered hops from the kettle using my mesh BIAB bag? I just got a mash tun so the bag is now pretty much useless to me, so would that bag be okay in the boil?

Using a mesh bag is one of many ways to filter the hops while using a plate chiller. If you have a pump I would suggest whirlpooling it as well. This will concentrate the cold chill break and hop residue and could also help with preventing the plate chiller from clogging. If your using pellet hops I would for sure using a mesh bag or maybe even two per addition if you worried about what this will do with hop utilization add 2-5% more hops. There should be threads on this as well.

I know there are some threads on here that also talk about making a hop screen for the valve as well.

Cool! Two questions, does cold break occur in the kettle even with a plate chiller?

Other question: my kettle is a 10 gallon steaming pot so it has one of those removable "false bottoms", but the holes are like an inch across so it's mainly used for tamales and such. Would I be able to wrap that false bottom in the mesh bag, and that way I could skip having to bag my hops? I'm not opposed to it, but there's something about tossing some hops straight into a kettle of boiling wort... Any feedback is appreciated. :) and, is there any loss of hop utilization when bagging hops? I skeptical...

Cool! Two questions, does cold break occur in the kettle even with a plate chiller?

Other question: my kettle is a 10 gallon steaming pot so it has one of those removable "false bottoms", but the holes are like an inch across so it's mainly used for tamales and such. Would I be able to wrap that false bottom in the mesh bag, and that way I could skip having to bag my hops? I'm not opposed to it, but there's something about tossing some hops straight into a kettle of boiling wort... Any feedback is appreciated. :) and, is there any loss of hop utilization when bagging hops? I skeptical...

I dont use a plate chiller but from what Ive read and heard that it does but in your fermenting vessel.

To answer second question, you can wrap it up. My question is how will you drain your wort? There is nothing wrong with allowing your hops to float freely but I understand using a plate chiller how annoying clogging it could be.

There is a slight decrease of hop utilization but can be fixed by adding more hops. IMO not worth figuring out and its small % that really doesn't matter if your just brewing to drink. If your into competitions it does play a role but you just add more hops to compensate.

Hope this helps

If you haven't already search "hop spider" in the forums. I use this with great success.

I have seen hop spiders, and I am considering one. And with the false bottom wrapped in a bag, I was thinking it would drain right out through the bag, and out the ball valve. Would this not work?

Wrapping the false bottom thingy is likely to keep the strainer bag in contact with the bottom of the pot. I would be concerned with it melting at the contact points.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to contain my hops and other additives. I just dump the hops in the bag and use a spring clam to hold the open end at the lip of the pot.

After the boil I drain the hop bag and then everything else goes into the fermenter. I have not felt the need for any additional straining.

Instead of the screen you can use the braid from a water heater supply line. Make sure it is stainless steel and not plastic.

6498a29e-c9d4-435d-9ad7-37e9154bc331_300.jpg

cut off the end fittings close one end and use a stainless steel hose clamp to attach it to the inside end of your kettle valve. I have one in my mash tun but not in my kettle.

I thought that the bag melting was a myth? Can anybody attest to whether or not the bags will actually melt?

im sure if the bag is touching the bottom of the pot it could melt. Have time give it a test run and boil water.

So, I ended up skipping the mesh bag method, as it seemed like it had some faults to it. So, I got some food grade stainless steel mesh and made another manifold that way. Problem solved! And thanks for your help!!

So, I ended up skipping the mesh bag method, as it seemed like it had some faults to it. So, I got some food grade stainless steel mesh and made another manifold that way. Problem solved! And thanks for your help!!

Let us know how it worked out pictures would be cool. Good luck

Here are some pics! I'll post next time I brew to tell you if it works!
image-860911055.jpg

Attachments

• image-1655747408.jpg
    image-1655747408.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 76
Yep! Stainless steel. :) I can't wait to use it! And to see how leaf hops vs. pellet hops are with this.

It looks like it will work fine with leaf hops but the pellet I think will still go through. I used a ss strainer once long ago when I was doing extract batches, lets just say it clogged and took forever for the wort to pass through it. Your mesh screen looks like its about as spaced as the strainer I had. If you use hop sacks for the pellets I think you will keep 90% of the pellets out. Good luck and you know what try them both if you making ales having a little bit of hop residue in your fermentation vessel wont hurt it.

Back