McCormick pumpkin pie extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly recommend using a fresh made blend as Indian_villager suggests. I have used the old Pampered Chef recipe in the past with good success. Pampered Chef Pumpkin Spice Ground your own spices or if you choose to use spices already ground, at least get real Cinnamon, not the fake stuff they sell in grocery stores, most of that is not really the bark of a cinnamon tree, it comes from a plant in China called cassia, even the cinnamon sticks in stores are usually cassia. You want to look for Saigon Cinnamon or Ceylon, that's the real stuff and once you smell it, you realize that we've been duped all our lives! I see you are in RI, there is a great spice shop in Newport called the Spice and Tea Store of Newport where you can probably get real cinnamon, and fresher versions of the other spices, or you can always order Saigon cinnamon on Amazon and hope it's the real stuff.

What @jdauria says! ^

You can recognize real cinnamon by the several thin, almost papery layers (of bark) that make up the stick. They're kinda brittle, and a very light brown.
I got a small, tallish jar at a local Whole Foods, with about 12 sticks in it.

What often gets pawned off as "cinnamon" is Cassia, a single curl of (1/16") thick bark. Also much darker in color than actual cinnamon. Good for Indian cooking.

well crap...I just brewed a spiced winter lager.

I added pumpkin pie spice mix, cinnamon spice and allspice to the fermenter. The regular grocery store stuff...

well crap...I just brewed a spiced winter lager.

I added pumpkin pie spice mix, cinnamon spice and allspice to the fermenter. The regular grocery store stuff...

You will be fine...the real stuff just perks it up more. 80% of the pumpkin beers sold in stores are probably brewed with the store stuff.

Highly recommend using a fresh made blend as Indian_villager suggests. I have used the old Pampered Chef recipe in the past with good success. Pampered Chef Pumpkin Spice Ground your own spices or if you choose to use spices already ground, at least get real Cinnamon, not the fake stuff they sell in grocery stores, most of that is not really the bark of a cinnamon tree, it comes from a plant in China called cassia, even the cinnamon sticks in stores are usually cassia. You want to look for Saigon Cinnamon or Ceylon, that's the real stuff and once you smell it, you realize that we've been duped all our lives! I see you are in RI, there is a great spice shop in Newport called the Spice and Tea Store of Newport where you can probably get real cinnamon, and fresher versions of the other spices, or you can always order Saigon cinnamon on Amazon and hope it's the real stuff.
The dried orange peels in that recipe are interesting. I jazz mine up by adding a bunch of green cardamom.

Back