Zatarain's root beer concentrate - discontinued?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Zatarain's as my go-to root beer concentrate for some time. I had bought a bunch of bottles from Amazon a couple years ago. Now I'm down to the last bottle and see that it's out of stock at every place that usually sells it.

The company's website still has a page for the product, but a search of where to buy comes up as out of stock.

Zatarain's parent company is McCormick's. Anyone know if the McCormick brand concentrate is the same? Maybe the company didn't want to produce 2 lines of the same kind of product.

Also: any good ideas of other brands of root beer concentrate? I'm not interested in making root beer from scratch; I'd like to keep it simple. I like being able to mix up concentrate, water and sugar, then carb in PET bottles with carbonator caps.

Cook's Choice looks promising. A bit spendy, though it is very concentrated.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

I've been using Zatarain's as my go-to root beer concentrate for some time. I had bought a bunch of bottles from Amazon a couple years ago. Now I'm down to the last bottle and see that it's out of stock at every place that usually sells it.

The company's website still has a page for the product, but a search of where to buy comes up as out of stock.

Zatarain's parent company is McCormick's. Anyone know if the McCormick brand concentrate is the same? Maybe the company didn't want to produce 2 lines of the same kind of product.

Also: any good ideas of other brands of root beer concentrate? I'm not interested in making root beer from scratch; I'd like to keep it simple. I like being able to mix up concentrate, water and sugar, then carb in PET bottles with carbonator caps.

I confirm your findings.

I checked, and we still have a partial bottle of Zatarain's, although the last time I made root beer I sourced sasafras and sasaparilla roots, going full from scratch.

Weird. I swear I saw it at the grocery store the other day.

I checked rite brew and it's out of stock, backordered. You could contact Neil and ask him.

I have used Sprecher, it's a gallon you mix with four gallons of water, no sugar needed. Tasty, and my second choice to Zatarain.

I had tried Rainbow a long time ago--my LHBS sold it. When mixed it had a rich, creamy body, but a weird, anise flavor I didn't care for.

Anyone tried Gnome? I see it on MW/NB.

Back