Mazer Cup 2021 results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have any Mazer Cup results/feedback they want to share? Lessons learned and such? This was my first year entering any thing. I did not medal (as expected) but definitely appreciate the feedback and scoresheets I received. I think it is invaluable. I entered 4 different meads in 4 different categories. Scored anywhere from 26/50 to 40/50. The judges feedback most certainly allowed me to go back and then compare my mead to their notes. If anybody else has any input, would love to hear it.

I haven't entered there yet. What was the date? (I'll remember for next year). 40/50 is very good and would be worth a bronze or better anywhere else.

I agree that the judges' comments are the best reason to compete. I have modified my processes as a result of feedback I've received.

Yeah, I wish they would anonymously show the scores per category. That way everyone would know just where they fell in the rankings. Was that 20th or 11th? Or where was my unimpressive 26/40? Wish I knew just how bad they thought that was. I was trying to be contrarian on that one. Mixed a crap load of peaches with an unusually funky buckwheat I had. Not sure why I did that But I guess the judges didn't enjoy a mead that truly had a nose and taste of "horse stall," or "barnyard." I've had buckwheat honey that I enjoyed very much. And I've had the $hit i turned in to the Mazer Cup. Enormous difference between 2 honeys labeled as "Buckwheat." My understanding is that it varies greatly based on the region it was collected. I was happy with a 40, just wish I knew where that landed me in the pecking order.

The competition took place the last weekend in October. From what I can see, it looks like late October is typical. Now that I know that, I will get to work. I didn't turn anything in that was older than 4 months.

It is my understanding that eastern Buckwheat is worthy of not much other than the toilet & Western Buckwheat is a much more desirable flavor (compared to the eastern)

The competition took place the last weekend in October. From what I can see, it looks like late October is typical. Now that I know that, I will get to work. I didn't turn anything in that was older than 4 months.
Are any of the other mead comps still running? Last I checked on MeadFreeOrDie and the Texas Mead Cup it seems like 2019 was the last one because of Covid.

I couldn't say one way or the other, beyond this year's Mazer Cup. I've never entered any other mead comp. I do know there was a 2020 Mazer Cup?

Latest posts

Back