May be a dumb question- is this yeast good for anything???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
IMG_4280.JPG

Despite the hilarious comments....it will still eat sugar and poop out CO2 and alcohol. You can try a small batch and see for yourself. Its likely to come out bready tasting.

Or use it to hone your toilet wine if you think you might be doing time in the near future.

Interestingly, Lesaffre is the parent company of Fermentis, maker of Safale and Saflager brewing yeasts. So it comes from a good family at least, although it's still a red-headed stepchild.

I believe i just read an article where bakers yeast was used. This was for one particular style of beer though. I'll see if i can dig it up. It was either in BYO or Zymurgy. Anyone else recall that?

In a recent master brewers podcast the old anchor steam brewmaster was saying they used bread yeast for a while in the early days (after cool shipping though) and that it made great beer. Perhaps it was this brand? Made me want to brew a traditional anchor steam - cascade hops, cool ship, bread yeast!

Give it a try. I used sourdough starter for a beer and it made a very nice english ale. Later the brett started making it a sour but for th first few months it was a very nice english ale. That is the fun of home brewing, you spend $30 and get to try something cool

The Basic Brewing guys made a batch of beer with bread yeast and I recall they said it was rather good. Not that I'd make the switch from brewer's yeast, but maybe its worth a one gallon experimental batch just for giggles.

Last edited:
People who have actually tried bread yeast say the beer turns out ok. I’ve never tried it myself. Though the experiments I’ve read talk about using Fleishman’s.

Just don't expect to be able to make good beer with it.

I'd disagree - I've made a best bitter with a British bread yeast (Allinson's - may well be a white label of Lesaffre but I don't know) and I'd concur with the "pretty good" comment above - not my finest but a solid 7 or 8 out of 10, friends would be more than happy to drink it.

The thing with bread yeasts is that they tend to not have all the fancy enzyme genes so don't have great attenuation and are generally POF+ so produce Belgian-style phenolics - but in my case they were pretty mild, nothing like the full-on saison thing. Think something like T-58. Dropped better than I expected as well, although flocculation wasn't great.

Would probably work for mead or cider, but I can't guarantee the result, it's worth a try though.

And if all else fails then you can use it as yeast food - the great thing about cannibalism is that you know all the nutrients are in the right proportions!

I made a batch of cider with that exact yeast. It turned out very bready, and not in a good way. I don't recommend it for cider.

Back