Mashed overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
I was going to brew last night, but my in laws were in town and I ran out of time. The grains sat in the mash tun overnight. I am mashing out today and am worried of ending up with a really sour lager. There were 8lbs of Pilsen malt and 1lb of flaked corn. The run off smells fine, but the tun has a district different smell than I am used to. I should note this is the first time I am using either of these ingredients. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Worst thing that happens is you waste a handful of hops and yeast. You're already committed to using or tossing the grain. I would think that you'd end up with more of a problem from the mash time being so long as compared to it having gone sour already, but that's just guessing. I've left my tun a night before cleaning before and the next morning nothing spectacular was going on inside of it.

I'd boil, cool, pitch as usual and call it an experiment.

I just tried the wort, and it doesn't taste sour. I'll repost in 60 days when it's done lagering!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The temp when I mashed out was 110. The really sad thing is we got some rain and I had to delay the boil. It just came to a nice rolling boil and the propane ran out. I had to dump the whole batch because it was too late (and I had too much of my own brew) to drive and get another tank. You live and learn......and try next weekend!

Nooo!!

At this point I'd have chilled and pitched, likely dry hop the hell out of it. Or a hop tea addition later. The boil - short as it may have been - would have been enough to sterilize the wort, and at that point you're so far into it that the cost of some yeast isn't going to be a world ending event if it fails. May not have been the best, but now it's toast. I have a surprisingly successful batch in the beer closet that only had a 10 minute boil. Science at it's finest. Live and learn, but never stop experimenting.

The long boil is more for hop isomerization than for sterilization. The wort is sterile soon after it reaches the boil.

I wasn't happy to throw out the entire batch, but it just seemed like this batch was doomed from the start. That's what I get for brewing with the inlaws in town, haha!

I've given a 15 min boil ( to sanitize) with a lid a few times (all stainless). Leave it for 24 hrs and do the actual boil the next night. It has worked well for me when I want to brew during the work week. You could have just finished the next night.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I wasn't happy to throw out the entire batch, but it just seemed like this batch was doomed from the start. That's what I get for brewing with the inlaws in town, haha!

Unfortunately now you will never know, it could have been the best batch of beer you have made.

I would have let it ride just to see what it came out like!

Cheers :mug:

next time just call is a sour mash and stay the course. i've sour mashed beers for multiple days. yes it will smell like vomit, BUT then you boil it to sterilize and add some hops (minimal). it will have a nice lacto tartness without being overly sour. my guess is it would have been absolutely fine. berliner weiss's can be tart and refreshing. for a good resource check out the Sour Mash appendix in the Joy of Homebrewing.

Back