Mash Temps - Educate me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Although I'm brewing about 2 years I sometimes feel like an ultra noob when reading back over my posted topics (which are always questions!) but alas, I must learn, and yee are the ones to educate! I often see posts where people recommend mashing at lower temps for this and higher temps for that. Can anybody give me a good break down on each? Sorry if this has been discussed, if so even just link me to the topic,

cheers guys!

Basic principle is that higher mash temps produce a less fermentable wort, leaving you with a beer with a thicker mouthfeel and more body (like a stout).

Lower temps give a more fermentable wort and a beer with a lighter body (like a pilsner).

whats considered a high temp and a low temp then? 152 appears to be a common temp. How low could you go before you hinder efficiency, and how high can you go before you risk tannins and off flavors?

I'm curious about this too. I brewed an ESB with WLP026 Special Bitter yeast which pulled my FG way, way down to 1.002 or something crazy like that. I loved the complex esters of this yeast but hated the hot, harsh alcohol. I'm wondering what would happen if I mashed up at like 158-160F?

whats considered a high temp and a low temp then? 152 appears to be a common temp. How low could you go before you hinder efficiency, and how high can you go before you risk tannins and off flavors?

i believe your hot alcohols may have come from fermenting at too high of a temperature. do a search for temperature controls to read more about it and its affect on your beers. took me several batches to identify this little issue :(

Back