Mash temperature and dextrins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxxsimon

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a question regarding mash temperature. Usually I do a single infusion mash at 153F but recently I tried doing a rest at 147F for 60 min and then a rest at 158F for 20 minutes. After I had done this, I was wondering if the low mash temperature rest was too long for the high temperature rest to have any effect at all? Is it possible that the lower mash temp just broke down all the starch in the grain so that there where no starches left for the alfa-amylase to do its work? Will this beer be very dry?

Most likely because 147F is a good conversion temperature, though it is impossible to know for sure without a starch conversion test performed during the mash. What was the grist composed of?

Most likely because 147F is a good conversion temperature, though it is impossible to know for sure without a starch conversion test performed during the mash. What was the grist composed of?
Ah damnit! Here is the recipe:

5400g Pale Ale Malt (90%)
600g Crystal 40L (10%)

The amount of Crystal malt is quite high, could that save my beer?

Last edited:
Back