mash temp for mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I'm brewing a mild tomorrow and was planning on hitting a mash temp of 150F, per Ray Daniels text. I was looking around the forum tonight and noted that several are mashing in the 156-158F range for milds.

I realize the higher temps result in more unfermentables, etc., but I thought the point of this style of beer was to have a refreshing, somewhat lighter bodied ale? Lower mash temps seem to make more sense towards this goal...

What gives?

I'm brewing a mild tomorrow and was planning on hitting a mash temp of 150F, per Ray Daniels text. I was looking around the forum tonight and noted that several are mashing in the 156-158F range for milds.

I realize the higher temps result in more unfermentables, etc., but I thought the point of this style of beer was to have a refreshing, somewhat lighter bodied ale? Lower mash temps seem to make more sense towards this goal...

What gives?

Milds have some body, despite the lower alcohol content, so some people mash them at higher temps to maintain the longer chain sugars that lead to increased body and mouthfeel. Personally, I'd go with 154° to 156° and add in a little character malt (Vienna, Munich, Victory, Biscuit, or, oddly enough, Mild Malt) that won't ferment out completely. That will keep the beer from being too thin. So, yes, you are absolutely right; Milds are designed to be refreshing session beers. On the other hand, they need to have enough body to keep from completely disappearing on the palate. A more moderate mash temp will help achieve that goal.

Check out the thread 10der & Mild for some in-depth brewing & tasting notes on a wide variety of Milds. I think that was one of HBT's most successful and thoughtful swaps.

Hope this helps,
Chad

Because it is a smaller beer with less fermentable it needs the higher mash temp to give it some body and a malty note other wise it will be too thin.
You are not going to get the same body has a bigger beer mashed at the same temp.

Stronger milds are starting to make it back to the hand pumps over here.
The standard northern dark mild is usually around 3%(ish) I've been sampling some less regional milds at 4.5%

This is good news for mild considering one of the countries widest available milds is about to be axed.

Rudgate Ruby Mild of York, North Yorkshire has been voted the best beer in Britain - CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain 2009 - after a year of local tastings panels and regional competitions culminated in a final judging at the Great British Beer Festival, Earls Court, London today.
Ruby Mild, which has an abv of 4.4%, is described in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide 2009 as a 'nutty, rich ruby ale, stronger than usual for a mild.'
The York brewed real ale was chosen as the overall winner from over sixty finalists in seven categories (Best Bitters, Bitters, Golden Ales, Milds, Speciality, Winter Beer and Strong Bitters) including beers from tiny micros to major regional brewers.
Roger Protz, Chairman of the final judging panel said:
'It's a tremendous boost for the mild category. It's good to see a classic British traditional beer making such a comeback in the age of golden ales and much paler beers in general. The judges were impressed by rich, fruity character, and the fact that it's quite hoppy and bitter for a mild ale. Its victory should invigorate the whole mild ale category.'
An elated Craig Lee, Rudgate's brewery owner, said:
'It's an excellent achievement, we've come close in previous years, and we are really proud to have won the Champion Beer of Britain. It's unbelievable, and we hope our beer helps popularise the cause of real ale.'
Rudgate's victory comes in the wake of new research from CAMRA showing 50% of adult drinkers have now tried Britain's national drink, real ale! This comes at a time when there are currently over 670 brewers in the UK, more than at any other time since the Second World War.

Thanks for the replies. I've always considered Daniels text a go to source for such information...but I guess it's not always right! He bases a lot of his reccomendations on NHC second round beers, including this one. I'd be curious how the pro breweries approach mild (w/respect to mash temp).

Anyway, I'll bump up my target temp. I'm also fermenting with WLP002 (English Ale), so that should help with moderating attenuation (although I usually get better attenuation than the White Labs range w/this yeast).

Thanks again.

That Ruby Mild is great too! I tried it at a Tutored tasting with Roger Protz at the Great British Beer Festival. Also tried a ton of other milds. I was really pleased to see that the style has not only survived but seems to be enjoying a revival. There were a TON of them.

I also mashed at 154 in an attempt to give it more body. And it worked! Would certainly recommend...

Latest posts

Back