Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently drank Burley Oak's 'Secret Sauce' that I purchased at Perfect Pour a few days ago. It was new to PP, but had no date on it. It was terrible. Malty, muddled, just uninteresting. The complete opposite of Double Duckpin (clean, hoppy, aromatic) Anyone else try it? At $17 a 6'er, I won't be purchasing that ever again.

I don't get all the Burley Oak love, period. Their stuff ranges from mediocre to good, but it is all overpriced.

Give me Double Duckpin any day of the week.

On another note, has anyone seen Helldorado or Stone 19 in parts of MD that aren't DC 'burbs?

Recently drank Burley Oak's 'Secret Sauce' that I purchased at Perfect Pour a few days ago. It was new to PP, but had no date on it. It was terrible. Malty, muddled, just uninteresting. The complete opposite of Double Duckpin (clean, hoppy, aromatic) Anyone else try it? At $17 a 6'er, I won't be purchasing that ever again.
Have you had much other burley oak stuff? As Moose stated I don't think they are anywhere near union's level.

Have you had much other burley oak stuff? As Moose stated I don't think they are anywhere near union's level.

I have had other Burley Oak stuff, just not recently. I remember their IPA's being pretty good about 3 years ago. This 6 pack was ****.

I agree that they are no where close in terms of quality when it comes to Union.

Even the regular duckpin is way better than secret sauce.

I have had other Burley Oak stuff, just not recently. I remember their IPA's being pretty good about 3 years ago. This 6 pack was ****.

I agree that they are no where close in terms of quality when it comes to Union.

I've had and enjoyed a few BO beers. Tart Attack, Sorry Chicky, and Sour Trip were all pretty good as I recall. Aboriginal Gangster was a very solid DIPA when I tried it. I remember 'Merica being a reeeeally good brown ale. I even remember liking their house made root beer.

That said, my mouth is watering right now thinking about fresh Double Duck Pin. That stuff is phenomenal.

I've had and enjoyed a few BO beers. Tart Attack, Sorry Chicky, and Sour Trip were all pretty good as I recall. Aboriginal Gangster was a very solid DIPA when I tried it. I remember 'Merica being a reeeeally good brown ale. I even remember liking their house made root beer.

That said, my mouth is watering right now thinking about fresh Double Duck Pin. That stuff is phenomenal.

Yeah I got massively drunk and didn't buy anything that night I was there. Sorry dude

my-bad.gif

'Merica is a solid Brown Ale.

I am a little annoyed with their $30 sours and $25+ BA beers. I have had some good beer from them, but nothing good enough to make me pull the trigger on those.

I see your from NJ, does Union distro over there?

I see your from NJ, does Union distro over there?

I wish. My gf went to college in Baltimore and has a lot of friends still living in the area, so we were down a few weeks ago to visit. We bought some fresh DDP cans from the brewery, but once we got home they did not last very long.

Sorry Chicky is a great berliner!

Sorry Chicky is a great berliner!

Really? I don't think it's a berliner even. I tried it since someone told me it was the best thing BO has ever done. Literally the ugliest beer I have ever seen. Drainpoured 10 out of 12oz.

Crickets on Helldorado and Stone 19th? Haven't heard of either on the Eastern Shore...

I have heard from a distributor that the shipment was delayed. Could be here this week or a month from now. No one knows. FW is unpredictable in MD as always.

Yeah you really just don't know with FW distro in MD.

As for Stone 19th, I had heard something about Stone switching distributors in MD, and that was the reason for the hold-up. By the time that finally hits, it won't be worth buying.

Really? I don't think it's a berliner even. I tried it since someone told me it was the best thing BO has ever done. Literally the ugliest beer I have ever seen. Drainpoured 10 out of 12oz.

I have heard from a distributor that the shipment was delayed. Could be here this week or a month from now. No one knows. FW is unpredictable in MD as always.

I really liked sorry chicky.. But that's my opinion

I'm glad ninkasi has made its way to MD. Additionally, four hands chocolate milk stout just came to Harford County... It's a must try.

I haven't had much from Ninkasi that I enjoyed, but I'll certainly give Tricerahops another try when I see a fresh bottle.

How is the 4 Hands stuff? I will be on the lookout for that if it hits the Eastern Shore.

4 Hands stuff should be on the eastern shore, I've seen it in Salisbury & West OC. They have some pretty good stuff.

Yeah, come to think of it, I have seen it around too. A decent amount of new stuff has been hitting MD, so I just don't think I've gotten around to it yet.

4 hands makes some solid beers. Their IPA, passion fruit berliner, and milk stout were great.

This might not be the correct thread for this, but do any liquor stores in the Baltimore City/Baltimore County area actually get GIBC on Black Friday? I went around to a few this past weekend just to ask, and everyone looked at my like I was an idiot for even asking. One store told me the distributors are not open on Black Friday. Any thoughts?

Edit: Even Max's gave me a sketchy answer when I asked them about it this past weekend. I am just trying to determine how much effort, if any, I put into finding GIBC on Black Friday.

This might not be the correct thread for this, but do any liquor stores in the Baltimore City/Baltimore County area actually get GIBC on Black Friday? I went around to a few this past weekend just to ask, and everyone looked at my like I was an idiot for even asking. One store told me the distributors are not open on Black Friday. Any thoughts?

Edit: Even Max's gave me a sketchy answer when I asked them about it this past weekend. I am just trying to determine how much effort, if any, I put into finding GIBC on Black Friday.

Try this:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/dc-md-nova-bourbon-county-stout-sightings-2015.350281/

How far outside of Baltimore are you looking to travel?

I'm sure Dawson's and Fishpaw's in Severna Park will get it. Bay Ridge in Annapolis, too.

If I see any, I'll update this thread. Found some last year before Black Friday.

My local consistently puts it out before Black Friday, but I doubt anyone will be on the Shore any time soon. I'll update, as well.

I don't know of any place nearby that sells before black friday, but i'll post if i see something as well.

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

If I do end up seeking it out on Black Friday, I will be sure to update this thread with my findings.

How far outside of Baltimore are you looking to travel?
I'm sure Dawson's and Fishpaw's in Severna Park will get it. Bay Ridge in Annapolis, too.

I live in the city so I am pretty flexible. I have heard good things about Dawson's, maybe this will be the time to actually check it out.

FW19 hit the Shore, too. Picked up a bottle yesterday. Gets more expensive every year.

Yeah, I bought the last bottle from Perfect Pour. It was pricey, but at least this vintage is good. Breakdown was something like 33% parabola, 33% Stickee Monkey, 16.6% merkin and then some ba brown ale for the last 16%. Drank it last night. Very enjoyable.

Yeah, I bought the last bottle from Perfect Pour. It was pricey, but at least this vintage is good. Breakdown was something like 33% parabola, 33% Stickee Monkey, 16.6% merkin and then some ba brown ale for the last 16%. Drank it last night. Very enjoyable.

I was looking forward to it, based on the blend. I'm not a big Stickee Monkee fan, but I think it would be good in this blend.
I haven't really loved a FW Anny beer since 16, which had that classic FW coconut barrel character. Hoping this delivers.

I picked up a bottle from total wine a few days ago and it was 25 dollars before tax. Pretty pricey from a store that usually has the lowest. I think the 18th anniversary last year was about 20 bucks. I can imagine the FW 19 was about 30 bucks at Perfect pour, since they jack prices on everything especially limited stuff.

North Ridge Wine and Spirits has BCBC and BCBBW for sale. $17.99 per bottle was what I was quoted on the phone. Not buying one ****ing bottle at that price. Y'all can have at it.

Anyone have another option with better pricing?

Last edited:
North Ridge Wine and Spirits has BCBC and BCBBW for sale. $17.99 per bottle was what I was quoted on the phone. Not buying one ****ing bottle at the price. Y'all can have at it.

Anyone have another option with better pricing?

Here in MoCo I know that rip off joint Gilly's got in 36 bottles, did lottery to hand them out yesterday. 2 bottles per, I believe I saw $16 per bottle and not sure if that included County's outlandish taxes or not. I work about 10 minutes from there but never shop there so I did not bother heading over.

Downtown Crown in Gaithersburg releasing their bottles at 10am on Friday, and it sounds like they are also tapping a keg of regular as well.

So, anybody that lives near Union, but doesn't give a **** about the barrel-aged gose cans they're releasing tomorrow, wanna pick me up some in exchange for a box of Carton and Other Half cans, plus maybe some other stuff we can work out later?

So, anybody that lives near Union, but doesn't give a **** about the barrel-aged gose cans they're releasing tomorrow, wanna pick me up some in exchange for a box of Carton and Other Half cans, plus maybe some other stuff we can work out later?

Have they done this before? I might have to swing by to get some if it is still available on Friday.

Back