Maris Otter vs. US Pale Malt - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Maris Otter, and up until I started buying grain in bulk, it was my go to base grain since my LHBS sets a single price for all grains. However, when I began researching bulk grain prices, I discovered a "Domestic Pale Malt," which is different than your standard US 2-Row. MoreBeer describes this malt as having "more color, drier flavor... more like British Pale malt." In 10 years of brewing, I guess I never paid close enough attention to notice this grain. Price-wise, 55 lbs of MO goes for $63 (1.15/lb) while 50 lbs of US Pale is only $36 (.72/lb). I opted for the latter and have found it to be a fantastic base malt! To be honest, the difference between it and MO is barely noticeable. It works just as beautifully for English-style ales as it does for American-styles; hell, I even brewed a Koelsch using only this base malt (with some wheat and C15) and it was delicious.

I'm wondering if anyone else regularly uses this grain and what your thoughts are on it? I'm sold! I buy my base grains in huge quantity 2 times per year, whenever we head to the bay area to see family- I'll be picking up 100 lbs of US Pale next month. Sorry MO...

Cheers!

logdrum said:
For the beers I make, it's my main malt-supplemented w/ Vienna, Munich, wheat etc.

The Pale? I find it melds very well with other base malts too.

I find that Maris Otter lends a nutty flavor to the beer I make. I made an APA and the beer was good, but the nutty flavor drowned out the hops a little too much for the style. I don't use U.S. 2-row, but I find that the Canadian 2-row is just a clean base malt. I buy my Maris Otter for about $40 a sack and the Canadian 2-row for around $30 a sack.

1234 said:
I find that Maris Otter lends a nutty flavor to the beer I make. I made an APA and the beer was good, but the nutty flavor drowned out the hops a little too much for the style. I don't use U.S. 2-row, but I find that the Canadian 2-row is just a clean base malt. I buy my Maris Otter for about $40 a sack and the Canadian 2-row for around $30 a sack.

Those are great prices! Where from?

I love MO, but have started using Pale Ale Malt more frequently. Complements 2-row nicely, just made a THA clone that called for 22% in the mash. Adds a nice hue and nuttiness

Back