March pumps and recirculating mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I'm wanting to use my sanke keggle as a mash tun to get away from mashing in plastic. I've been reading that people will direct fire their keggle mash tun to maintain temps throughout the mashing time. I have a march pump that I've been using for awhile for my plate chiller so I might as well use it to recirculate the mash to avoid scorching and carmelizing and to keep a more uniform mash temp but I'm wondering how you keep the little grain particles from fouling up the pump mechanism. Is this a problem or do I need some sort of filtration beyond the false bottom to avoid ruining my March pump?

I use a RIMS tube (not direct fire), but the process is basically the same. My false bottom stops most of the particles from getting through. Any pieces that do slip by are small enough for the March pump to handle.

My SS braid works fine, too.

Instead of a keggle, I'm using an 11 gallon SS pot to replace the plastic liner in my Igloo MLT.

If I ever get around to finishing it...

If using a false bottom and RIMS system the pump can handle the smaller particles going through. After a few minutes the grain bed will act as a filter taking the smaller stuff that can fit through the false bottom and put it on top of the grain bed. As long as the grain bed goes undisturbed through the mash its easy sailing.

If using a false bottom and RIMS system the pump can handle the smaller particles going through. After a few minutes the grain bed will act as a filter taking the smaller stuff that can fit through the false bottom and put it on top of the grain bed. As long as the grain bed goes undisturbed through the mash its easy sailing.

Now...this might bring up another question: How do I make sure the grain bed stays distributed? Solution could be: the tube that enters the mash tun with the liquid being pumped from the HLT, is emerged in the liquid at set at a slow flow rate so that it wouldnt disturb the grain bed?

Is that a good idea?

I use a pump with the false bottom and never had a problem. I distribute the wort back on top of the grain bed with a copper distribution pipe slightly submerged under the wort line at a slow rate and the grain bed never channels. I have seen some people pump the wort into a strainer/colander sitting above the grain bed to distribute the wort flow.

Back