Manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
i started doing all-grain about 8 months back. been using a CPVC manifild, been hitting around 70% eff with it. i'm having problems with it staying together though. only twice has it came apart during the mash, and the last time was this past weekend. it was a real pain dealing with it. i've found that some of my pieces are really loose and almost want to fall apart. anyone else with a cpvc manifold have this problem?

thinking about maybe using some stainless steel screws to hold parts of it together or cutting new parts every so often, but that'd suck too. the first few times i've used it it was really tight and held great.

other brewers out there with copper manifolds do you have this problem too?

I use PVC and I've noticed that when dry it sticks together great but when submersed in hot water it comes apart easier.

Mine is a square and I think some large re-useable zip ties may work or just build it bigger so that the inside of your cooler holds it together, just don't put holes to close to the sides or you'll get channeling.

Linc

I created my manifold for my 10g round cooler to be a tight fit. So the only way the manifold could come apart would be if you lift the manifold out, and that never happens during the mash because the weight of the grain bed keeps it down.

You could also try some PVC cement to hold a cpvc manifold together.

My copper manifold is not soldered together and I haven't had an issue with it coming apart. When it heats up the metal seems to expand such that it stays together even when I hit it while doughing in.

hmmm, thanks for the tips. i think i'll mess around with it some more...if i can't get it to stay together i might switch to copper. thanks everyone!

Back