Mango Wine tastes sour after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avnthk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first attempt to brewing and the first post on the forum as well.

So I am try to brew mango Wine as it's mango season in India.

My ingredients

1.5 Kg of Mangoes fully ripe
1 kg of sugar
3.5 liters of water
250 grams of Grapes
1 small lemon

As it's really difficult to get professional yeast here, I added activated yeast on one day later. The yeast packing had wine as one of the application.

I put pieces of mangoes half with skin and half without skin. One mango stone as well. I also left lemon skin inside the fermentor. This was as shown in an online recipe I watched on YouTube.

I didn't have any instruments to measure initial gravity so didn't measure.

After 7 days today when I'm about to shift it to other carboy, I tasted it and it tastes sour. What could be the issue ?

I kept an airlock which was bubbling as well so I'm considering oxidation is not the reason.

Has it gone bad? Can it be salvaged? Please advise.

Yeah just guessing since I've never looked into wine making, but to me being sour suggest some lactobacillus got going strong ahead of the yeast and made it sour. Those old style sour pickles, sauerkraut and and all sorts of stuff rely on it. It's a normal bacteria in your gut too.

Is sour wine a thing? Might have a hot new fad. But yeah, we speak beer here! Look further down in the list of forums.

As it's really difficult to get professional yeast here, I added activated yeast on one day later. The yeast packing had wine as one of the application.

Waiting a day to add yeast can allow bacteria to get started before there is yeast activity to keep it under control. Once well established the bacteria may be able to keep multiplying and this could be the cause of the sourness. In future batches, get the yeast into the must as quickly as possible.

Hey RM-MN,
Thanks for the reply

Now sourness has reduced drastically. I don't what happened.

or it has fermented enough that it has used up all the sugars and is now "dry".

what yeast did you use?

is it a tasty sour or nasty tasting sour? like yogurt?

or it has fermented enough that it has used up all the sugars and is now "dry".

what yeast did you use?

is it a tasty sour or nasty tasting sour? like yoghurt?

It is in secondary fermentation for a week. It tasted nasty sour a week back but the sourness has gone and now it's mild sour but tastes a little bitter.

The ph value is approximately between 3.5 to 4.

Why it has gone from sour to bitter?

Back