Mango pulp milk stout - is it a good idea ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerRush

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to do a milk stout and I want to execute an experiment with not "clichéd" fruits , so I incline to do milk stout with mango pulp, what is your experience with that ? What was the result ?

Hello! I have an experimental Belgian honey wheat ale where I whirlpooled an IPA hop (Azacca) and added a can of mango puree (49oz) in secondary.

I tasted during secondary and the mango popped during day 2 or 3, and mellowed/bittered a bit by the end.

What I can say is if you use it, add after racking to secondary or your yeast cake may eliminate all the mango flavor.

However, since a stout almost inevitably has coffee, roasted, or chocolate flavors, not sure how a tropical flavor like mango will mix. If you are looking to try something unique maybe apricot and vanilla for a peaches and cream taste? Add clove as well? (I say apricot because peach doesnt hold up well in beer)

Last edited:
buy a stout you like, add mango to it, and see how it tastes.

Personally, it sounds disgusting, but if you like it, go for it :drunk:
Haha I like this idea! I consider myself very adventurous and LOVE to take the road less traveled and experiment, but I just don't see mango working well in a stout. MAYBE a smooth porter? But again tropical and dark beer might be hard to mix.

I just put it there :) 9 l/ 850 grams of mango pulp for second fermentation , we will see what taste it will have , I'm very curious - let you know soon in one month, in 8 days I'm gonna bottled that , experimental home-brewing - beautiful thing , no boundaries

I just put it there :) 9 l/ 850 grams of mango pulp for second fermentation , we will see what taste it will have , I'm very curious - let you know soon in one month, in 8 days I'm gonna bottled that , experimental home-brewing - beautiful thing , no boundaries
PLEASE let us know! Im super curious!

After 3 weeks in a bottle - I can say more about that beer which surprisingly is really good - it is well balanced with lactose and - very drinkable and this beer is 16 blg, photo attached ;)
Cheers !

Attachments

• 16173760432127297074063468514355.jpg
    16173760432127297074063468514355.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
After 3 weeks in a bottle - I can say more about that beer which surprisingly is really good - it is well balanced with lactose and - very drinkable and this beer is 16 blg, photo attached ;)
Cheers !
Awesome!! Care to share the final recipe?

Do you actually get any mango flavor in it?

In my experience the amount of mango you added was low even for a pale beer let alone a dark one.

Do you actually get any mango flavor in it?

In my experience the amount of mango you added was low even for a pale beer let alone a dark one.
1.Yes I do , I did 0.85kg/8 l for this milk stout.
2. For mango Milk shake IPA for 24l/3.4 kg
In both styles that amount was sufficient for me.

1.Yes I do , I did 0.85kg/8 l for this milk stout.
2. For mango Milk shake IPA for 24l/3.4 kg
In both styles that amount was sufficient for me.
That’s awesome. I’ve never had luck with less than a a lb per/ gallon in ipas.

Awesome!! Care to share the final recipe?
Sure here we go:
1.Pale ale Marris otter - 3.7kg
2. Simpsons colour130-140 - 0.2 kg
3. Chocolate colour 1000-1250 - 0.4 kg
4. Pale chocolate colour 550-690 - 0.2 kg
5. Lactose 0.47 kg - 15 minutes end of boiling

All malts 65 minutes mash
67C - 25 minutes
68C - 40 minutes
76C - 5 minutes

This batch was split into two
9l. I added coffee,