Mango Habanero Ale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Last weekend, at a local winery, I tried this combination in a cider and WOW! Not too sweet, just right amount of mango, and on the back end you got just enough of the pepper to enjoy it. Talking to the chief wine / cider maker, he told me he used 3 habanero' sore 5 gal, putting them at the end of boil.

Wile I'd like to duplicate the cider, I'm also thinking a Pilsner or wheat beer with this combination would be pretty cool. So I'm just curious for any thoughts / ideas on it. Canned purée? Fresh mangos in a food processor? Pilsner, wheat, maybe a ale? Other pepper suggestion / combos?
( banana pepper comes to mind!)

Cheers !

Founder's released a beer called Mango Magnifico that was exactly this. I liked the beer a lot.

http://foundersbrewing.com/backstage-series/mango-magnifico-con-calor-2013/

My best experience with fruit has been to puree fresh fruit and pasteurize it, put the puree in a secondary, rack on top of that.

I peppers can add a vegetal flavor if you aren't careful. I've never personally brewed with them, but have noticed it in several peppered beers.

A brewery called BadWolf in manassas va released a small batch of a mango habanero IPA that was awesome. I cannot remember the conversation all that well so let me know if this is totally off base but I recall one of the Brewers telling me mangos went in the mash?

The habenero was very good and actually added its own slightly citrusy flavor.

Best of luck!

Back