Mango Gelato Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyduddy

Reaction score
Thinking about attempting a mango gelato pale ale for the summer, but i'm getting some conflicting ideas from the recipes I saw.
Should I add fresh fruit at the end of the boil and puree in secondary or just puree in the secondary, and when is the best time to add the lactose, during the boil or in secondary a few days before the puree?

Lactose at flame out. No reason to open the fermenter.

I usually add concentrated juice a couple of days into fermentation when things have gotten active; I don’t see why this wouldn’t work with purée as well. I’ve done a “fruit stand” with 10-20 minutes at ~160 F, but sometimes get some cooked flavors off of that.

A healthy dose of Citra goes fabulously well with mango, btw.

Thank you for the reply! I was thinking 20gs of citra for bittering, 30gs of simcoe for flavour and 50gs of Amarillo for aroma.

I too want to make a pale ale or blonde with fresh mango, thinking as well to heat it up with a little habenero. Any thoughts on procedure? Btw..confused on when & why to use lactose

I too want to make a pale ale or blonde with fresh mango, thinking as well to heat it up with a little habenero. Any thoughts on procedure? Btw..confused on when & why to use lactose
Lactose is an unfermentable milk sugar that adds a creaminess to beer. Based on the OP's desire for a mango gelato (Italian ice cream) pale ale, adding lactose sounds like a great idea. I typically add the lactose at the last 10min of the boil.

Also, I've had great luck with Aseptic Fruit Purees. They're not cheap, but quality ingredients rarely are. Just my $0.02

Back