Managing fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you set your fermenter in a tub of water with this (or similar) heater it will maintain the temperature set on the heater if the heater has sufficient wattage to do so. This heater has adjustment for temperature but it does not say what the lowest setting is and it may be hotter than you want. I have searched similar items and they rarely show the lowest temperature which makes them suspect as I would want my temp to be in the lower 60's.

I was looking into doing this the other day and almost bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5TPF6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I like the fact that it isn't glass (easy to break) and that it's easy to set the temp. Has great reviews as well. The lowest setting is 68, which would work for you. You can calibrate it as well, which means you can probably trick it to go lower. Or you could always hook up a temp controller to it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking into doing this the other day and almost bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C5TPF6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I like the fact that it isn't glass (easy to break) and that it's easy to set the temp. Has great reviews as well. The lowest setting is 68, which would work for you. You can calibrate it as well, which means you can probably trick it to go lower. Or you could always hook up a temp controller to it as well.

This is a great idea! I've been fiddling with a space heater in a closet for the last year every time I need to push ferm temps. This would be so much easier to use with my swamp cooler rope handle tub!

Last edited by a moderator:
100 watts is a lot for an aquarium heater. Mine is much much smaller- maybe 10 watts- and it does great for a water bath in a cooler.

Whatever you get, make sure it can maintain temperatures in the low/mid 60s!

Back