Making a Yeast Starter in a Flask (A Walkthrough with Pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mods for the merge! I know you guys are busy with the move.

And thanks Gavin for being patient with my pedantic questioning! I wrote an article about my methods for my little blog that I write for. I'm still refining it because I think it's jumbled and confusing and I've certainly incorporated a lot of what you wrote in your original article and given you acknowledgement in my post. When I get it to a happy place.

Edit: and here it is http://narrativeroots.com/2015/07/01/yeast-knowledge-feast/

Thanks for all your help @Gavin C!

Question regarding over-building.
Once the starter has cooled, do you swirl, then measure out the over-build volume and store in the fridge for future use and then pitch the correct amount?
Using the Brew United calculator, I chose the hybrid pitch rate and used an over-build amount of 125. The starter details show 1.5L of water to 151 grams of DME.
Overbuild harvest shows to pitch .864L and harvest .636.
When measuring out the starter, I would measure the creamy liquid and not just the yeast at the bottom, correct.
I apologize for the newbie questions but just wanting to get this right.

Once the starter has cooled, do you swirl, then measure out the over-build volume and store in the fridge for future use and then pitch the correct amount?
Using the Brew United calculator, I chose the hybrid pitch rate and used an over-build amount of 125. The starter details show 1.5L of water to 151 grams of DME.
When measuring out the starter, I would measure the creamy liquid and not just the yeast at the bottom, correct.

You are correct. It is the volume that is measured after swirling the starter wort and yeast together.

No worries at all.

The starter is taken off the stir-plate and the preplanned overbuild volume is immediately poured into the already prepared sanitized vessel(s).

These jars are capped loosely, labeled and refrigerated. Lids tightened after a day or so.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

No worries at all.

The starter is taken off the stir-plate and the preplanned overbuild volume is immediately poured into the already prepared sanitized vessel(s).

These jars are capped loosely, labeled and refrigerated. Lids tightened after a day or so.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Yes. Immensely. Wasn't quite sure.
Thanks

Great write up, I found some helpful info. Whenever I get a new yeast strain, I also like to do the overbuild method. It seems like the easiest, most efficient, way to retain a clean pitch of the strain for a new starter.

Great write up, I found some helpful info. Whenever I get a new yeast strain, I also like to do the overbuild method. It seems like the easiest, most efficient, way to retain a clean pitch of the strain for a new starter.

Thanks.

The only change I have made in my methodology since writing this is that I have shortened my starter boil time to ~1-2 minutes. 10 minutes is pointless overkill.

Back