Make a beer with cider yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upstate12866

Reaction score
Have you ever used cider yeast for beer? If so, how did it go?

Pardon the silly question, I only have cider yeast on hand at the moment, and a friend is in town who wants to learn a bit about brewing. We are sort of improvising on a pale wheat ale. There's a winter storm here as well which is why I would like to avoid a trip to the store.

I don't mind a weird beer, I just want to avoid absolutely ruining it.

Perhaps my cider yeast (Mangrove Jack M02) would make something like a Belgian/Saison style, fermenting out drier and producing some odd esters, but maybe still be drinkable. I read somewhere that cider and wine yeasts tend to be POF+ just like belgian/saison yeasts and the two groups are pretty closely related as well? Which is why I get the thought this might be workable...

Have a fun weekend everyone :)

It depends on the yeast strain. Mangrove Jack yeasts are repackaged yeast from other manufacturers. If the "original" yeast is a wine/champagne yeast, it won't ferment maltotriose, and you'll have a sweet, underfermented beer. If it's a saison yeast, you'll get that. If it's an ale yeast, you'll get that.

I'd brave the weather and get some proper yeast at the store.

Back