Maintaining mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP, make sure you really do stir it frequently! I've done the same thing as you but I didn't stir as often as I should have; I was still monitoring the middle of the mash with a probe but I decided to measure the wort at the bottom of the pot and it was almost at mash out temp! In the winter I brew inside on the stove. I'm trying to improve my process and maintaining temp without stirring was one that I figured I could improve upon. I wanted to have a small amount of evenly distributed heat input so I just tested a circ pump tonight with water. I found a 3-3.5 on the large burner with the circ pump on works perfectly at maintaining temp ;)!

I can't wait to use this! Will be great for step mashing too. Obviously the recirc manifold will go in the bag itself. I just need to see if the bazooka screen is enough to not "pack off" the suction with the grain bag. If it does I may have to add a false bottom.

Not sure what others' experiences have been with recirc pumps like this but I'm guessing this will be a game changer for me. No more messing around with stirring/insulation.

IMG-20180912-WA0013.jpeg
IMG-20180912-WA0011.jpeg

Last edited:
OP, make sure you really do stir it frequently! I've done the same thing as you but I didn't stir as often as I should have; I was still monitoring the middle of the mash with a probe but I decided to measure the wort at the bottom of the pot and it was almost at mash out temp! In the winter I brew inside on the stove. I'm trying to improve my process and maintaining temp without stirring was one that I figured I could improve upon. I wanted to have a small amount of evenly distributed heat input so I just tested a circ pump tonight with water. I found a 3-3.5 on the large burner with the circ pump on works perfectly at maintaining temp ;)!

I can't wait to use this! Will be great for step mashing too. Obviously the recirc manifold will go in the bag itself. I just need to see if the bazooka screen is enough to not "pack off" the suction with the grain bag. If it does I may have to add a false bottom.

Not sure what others' experiences have been with recirc pumps like this but I'm guessing this will be a game changer for me. No more messing around with stirring/insulation.

View attachment 588007 View attachment 588008
just a heads up but I would think your likely to get a lot of channeling through the grain bed and depending on your bag/tube stuck sparges with the pump flow turned up that high (=poor efficiency).. if you do I suggest trying it with the flow way down to like 2gpm you will have to likely adjust the heat as well.

just a heads up but I would think your likely to get a lot of channeling through the grain bed and depending on your bag/tube stuck sparges with the pump flow turned up that high (=poor efficiency).. if you do I suggest trying it with the flow way down to like 2gpm you will have to likely adjust the heat as well.

It very well might. If this happens I'll just add a false bottom.

View attachment 588007 View attachment 588008
Looks nice! My last batch I turned off heat and just let the still warm burner keep it warm. I stirred it every ~15 minutes or so and only lost about 2 degrees without insulation so I think I'll just keep it as simple as possible :)

OP, make sure you really do stir it frequently! I've done the same thing as you but I didn't stir as often as I should have; I was still monitoring the middle of the mash with a probe but I decided to measure the wort at the bottom of the pot and it was almost at mash out temp! In the winter I brew inside on the stove. I'm trying to improve my process and maintaining temp without stirring was one that I figured I could improve upon. I wanted to have a small amount of evenly distributed heat input so I just tested a circ pump tonight with water. I found a 3-3.5 on the large burner with the circ pump on works perfectly at maintaining temp ;)

When I first started all-grain, my efficiency wasn't that great. I had read somewhere about stirring, so I implemented a 15- and 30-minute stir (I'm using a cooler as a mash tun). Efficiency shot up for me, and I've done that ever since.

I've also done BIAB and tried to control mash temp w/ a burner; very hard to do, as there's residual heat that will continue to warm the kettle, plus mash is thick. You don't get the convection currents in mash that you do in water or wort. It almost acts as an insulator, keeping temps from mixing.

I've done 4 grain batches thus far, 2.5 gallon. The oven method works great for me. Never lost more than 2 degrees during the 60 minute mash. And that's with me opening the oven/kettle several times during the mash to stir and check ph.

I have two BIAB brews under my belt and am getting ready to brew this weekend. I mash on my electric stovetop and rather than doing the blanket wrap thing to maintain my mash temp, I just set the burner on low and frequently stir for the hour. My temps stay pretty steady and since it's low, there's no scorching/melting of the bag. Is this a legit thing to do or am I asking for trouble doing it this way? It seems like a good way of maintaining temps, but I don't see many (any?) people doing it like this.

I mash on an electric stove as well, but I don't keep the heat on and I'm still able to maintain a stable temperature for 60-90 minutes. I use a 5 gallon pot for mashing, which is perfect for my 5 gallon batches. I just cover the pot with a large beach towel and let it sit. When I stir halfway through, I do check the temperature to make sure its still good. In the rare instance that it has dropped, I'll apply low heat for 20-30 seconds as I stir, but that's it.

4 layers around the kettle and 3 to make the lid. I used a hot glue gun to stick the layers together. Not shown here is a bungee cord to hold it close. The trick is to put it on as soon as you turn off the heat then mash in.
I do this exactly, even the bungee cord, except I only have one layer for the lid and I also used duct tape to help keep the layers together. To make up for losing heat on the top or bottom I just wrap and drape a few long blankets around it and stuff the extra drapage in the gap between my propane burner and the ground. I never lose temp when mashing.

Back