magic hat cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
So I saw magic hat #9 cans. It made me sad. How do you guys feel about that? To me the can imparts flavor on a beer, and by doing this magic hat has moved off my list of beers I'll drink.
Discuss

Cans are by far the superior packaging, so I think it's great. Less light allowed in, you can take cans places you can't take bottles, and they're more environmentally friendly for shipping. I've never had a can impart flavor into the beer personally. That would sound to me more like something wrong with the beer than the can.

I'm glad to see more craft beers available in cans. I prefer most beers in the bottle...not necessarily because of taste. However, I'd rather a can of craft beer over a bottle of yellow fizzy beer.

So I saw magic hat #9 cans. It made me sad. How do you guys feel about that? To me the can imparts flavor on a beer, and by doing this magic hat has moved off my list of beers I'll drink.
Discuss

You're about 30 years behind the times in forming your belief that they impart bad flavors.....or are bad in general.

We have a ton of threads discussing this, including this one of mine.

as well as- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/canned-craft-brew-238910/?highlight=canned and many more.

It's really a great thing, now you don't have to worry about your favorite beer being light struck and skunked, and you can take them to places where glass bottles are not allowed. I mean why can BMC be taken to the beach and our favorite stout or ipa can't because they're in glass and not cans.

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

I agree that cans are good for taking around places and all that and for other reasons but, albeit a figment of my imagination, it does taste different to me. Not bad, just different.

They will impart flavor if you are drinking out of the can because your mouth/tongue touches the aluminum. Pour into a glass for best results.

Cans are great. I had the best IPA I've ever had non-draught from a can last week. Sixpoint Bengali Tiger. Tasted way fresher (better hop flavor) than anything I've had from a bottle.

Besides, if you really care about tasting your beer, you'll want to pour it in a glass so you can smell it. I drink from the bottle when I don't have a glass or don't feel like procuring one, but you really do miss some of the flavor this way.

They will impart flavor if you are drinking out of the can because your mouth/tongue touches the aluminum. Pour into a glass for best results.

+1

The cans inside are lined, have been for at least 30 years to prevent flavors from the metal contaminating the beer. I think for a lot of folks it's just a form of "hypochondria" brought on by bias.

I gained a lot of respect for magic hat for doing this. It is extremely more environmentally friendly than glass for tons of reasons.

To bad they havn't made a single beer I have enjoyed in years :(

mrduna01 said:
I agree that cans are good for taking around places and all that and for other reasons but, albeit a figment of my imagination, it does taste different to me. Not bad, just different.

Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to
do a blind tasting to test your proposition.

To bad they havn't made a single beer I have enjoyed in years :(

It's a good thing then you have all these and more to choose from. ;0

20100128craftbeercans1.jpg

It's a good thing then you have all these and more to choose from. ;0

20100128craftbeercans1.jpg

Remember my thread on how much I loved Oskar Blues? I love the fact more breweries are canning, and one of my favorite local breweries just started canning.

Less weight means less fuel used to ship materials, then again less fuel used to ship them once they are filled with beer. More 12 oz serving containers can be packed into a shipment taking less space...once again meaning less fuel is used. And aluminum takes significantly less energy to recycle than glass. Best practical storage medium for beer to boot...I am glad more breweries are doing this and that people are giving up the can=less quality notion!

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that being the case.

Well I guess I'm behind the times, Every time I drink from a can I can taste the can. However, if I'm willing to drink from a keg, maybe I should give cans another shot, I'll just have to pour it into a glass before I drink it.

Canned beer is great for golfing. Most courses won't allow outside alcohol and especially bottles.

they need to get their arses moved to oregon! i miss that stuff :(

Back