Lowering FG in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulene

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a general recipe question. What changes can be made to a recipe to lower the final gravity? Obviously, yeast attenuation will play a role as will mash temp. Are there other ways? Can changes to a recipe affect the outcome?

Adding sugars that are very fermentable, like dextrose. Russian River pioneered the practiced for IPAs with Pliny. Also, using less specialty malts, ie: crystal/caramel/brown malt. That IPA super sweet? Did you happen to use 10% or more crystal malts? Keep it around 5% for a dryer brew.

Adding sugars that are very fermentable, like dextrose. Russian River pioneered the practiced for IPAs with Pliny. Also, using less specialty malts, ie: crystal/caramel/brown malt. That IPA super sweet? Did you happen to use 10% or more crystal malts? Keep it around 5% for a dryer brew.

I haven't actually made the batch yet but the FG in Brewtarget indicates it will be a bit high for the style. To be honest, I'm fairly new to this with only 5 batches under my belt. My biggest complaint thus far is that my ales HAVE been too sweet.

The recipe I'm working on is an IPA and I don't want the same problem with it. I have heard adding fermentable sugars will lower the FG but I guess I worry about a thin or watery beer (see Batch 5). :drunk:

Is there a rule of thumb?

Adding fermentable sugars lowers the FG by increasing the alcohol. If you just want less sweetness, start with less crystal malts, mash a little lower, or just use less grain.

Is it possible to add dextrose after fermentation has already begun?

Although I've never done it, I have read that you can add boiled and cooled dextrose (or any sugar) to the fermentor. It has the same effect as adding it during the boil- it will dry the beer out.

Let's say you add dextrose until it represents 5% of your fermentable sugar. Dextrose only adds alcohol so the beer is "thinned out."

Grains provide fermentable sugars and unfermentables which add flavor and body so the more of your alcohol that comes from sugar, the less body a beer will have.

Does this sound right to some of you more experienced brewers?

So, I still don't quite understand something. When I enter a half or three quarters of a pound of sugar into my brewing software/ website, I get an increased FG. What I can't seem to do is lower that number by adding fermentables. What am I missing?!?

So, I still don't quite understand something. When I enter a half or three quarters of a pound of sugar into my brewing software/ website, I get an increased FG. What I can't seem to do is lower that number by adding fermentables. What am I missing?!?

Your software has an attenuation setting, probably individual to each yeast. It's assuming a certain % attenuation for the overall recipe; the assumption doesn't look at what ingredients actually go into the beer or the mash temp you use. You can guesstimate the assumption upwards or just type in the recipe without the sugar and figure the recipe with sugar will end up a little lower.

A lower final gravity doesn't necessarily mean less sweet however; adding fermentable sugars won't change the amount of residual sugars unless the fermentable sugars replace grain. Masonsjax's 3 ideas are the right ones; your beer will also taste less sweet (although not thinner) if you up the bittering hops.

Thanks for the advice kingwood (and everyone else). I think I will reduce the crystal malts next time around. The beer I have in bottles tastes of crystal sweetness. Not terrible but just not what I was looking for.

Back