Low on DME, starter size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I'm brewing an ESB tomorrow. It's OG is 1.053. I was going to make a 1L starter but I was low on DME, so I made a 600ml starter instead 60grams DME/600ml of water. Will this be enough? The yeast is London ESB by Wyeast and it was manufactured less than a month ago.

Thanks,
Zach

I'm brewing an ESB tomorrow. It's OG is 1.053. I was going to make a 1L starter but I was low on DME, so I made a 600ml starter instead 60grams DME/600ml of water. Will this be enough? The yeast is London ESB by Wyeast and it was manufactured less than a month ago.

Thanks,
Zach
I put your 0.6 liter starter into Brewers Friend calculator. Came out insufficient. Assumed a 5.0 gallon batch. Production date of yeast 02/18/2014. You would be close with a 0.8 liter starter and 2.1 ounces of yeast (60 grams).
Enter your numbers to see what results you get. I may have been off somewhere.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Assuming 80% viability, you're going to pitch around 0.32 million cells/ per mL-dP, which is an underpitch of the commonly accepted 0.75 for ales and 1.5 for lagers.

To answer your question, it will ferment. You'll have a longer lag time than usual if you pitched more yeast due to increase yeast propagation.

edit: This is assuming pitching only the packet because I don't suspect you'll get much growth from pitching into a 600 ML starter, especially if it's not on a stirplate. The main benefit would be getitng the yeast active.

Assuming 80% viability, you're going to pitch around 0.32 million cells/ per mL-dP, which is an underpitch of the commonly accepted 0.75 for ales and 1.5 for lagers.

To answer your question, it will ferment. You'll have a longer lag time than usual if you pitched more yeast due to increase yeast propagation.

Is it worth it to drive to the home-brew shop and buy another smack pack to throw in the fermenter?

Two options: pitch is, and let it ride. Might be a little more.... characterful..... Than you intended, but whatever.

Option 2: make it a bitter, lower the gravity to ~ 1.035 or 1.040 and make it a bitter instead. Personally I would do this, id rather have a great bitter than an ok ESB.

What is the date of prod. for the yeast? This might make a huge difference. I tried 85% viability and the brewers friend calc said it was insufficient - but only by 4 billion cells (0.6L starter takes 86 billion cells to 172 billion; 176 billion was recommended). So if it's date of packaging is in March, I actually think you're golden.

Two options: pitch is, and let it ride. Might be a little more.... characterful..... Than you intended, but whatever.

Option 2: make it a bitter, lower the gravity to ~ 1.035 or 1.040 and make it a bitter instead. Personally I would do this, id rather have a great bitter than an ok ESB.

What is the date of prod. for the yeast? This might make a huge difference. I tried 85% viability and the brewers friend calc said it was insufficient - but only by 4 billion cells (0.6L starter takes 86 billion cells to 172 billion; 176 billion was recommended). So if it's date of packaging is in March, I actually think you're golden.

The package date was a month ago. I think I'm going to run to the store and get another smack pack. That should give me enough.

If showcow's number are right, you'd be fine with the starter you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If showcow's number are right, you'd be fine with the starter you made.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And anyway, some people slightly under pitch with yeasts for (for example) English / Belgian beers. But, if OP wants to err on the side of too clean rather than too estery, two packs is the way to go.

Back