low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brews2

Reaction score
Brew 10 gal batches, 13½ gallons into the boiler, using 22+ pounds of grains. Normally the OG is somewhere north of 1.050. Depending on style mash is anywhere between 144° to 151°, mash out @ 168° and sparge @ 172°.

For the last couple of brews the OG is stuck on 1.030. Checked hydrometer and it reads 1.000 in water. Bought a new hydrometer anyway. Same results.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.

a couple things stand out here. How long are you boiling? collecting 13.5 gallons for a 10 gallon batch is quite alot for a 60-90 minute boil. It seems that 11.25-11.5 gallons pre boil (depending on boil length) would be more where you need to be. are you sure you are ending up with 10 gallons and not 12 gallons? I collect 13.75 gallons for 12 gallon batches for a 90 minute boil. mashing at 144 is pretty low too. If you aren't mashing for 90-120 minutes at that temp range you may not be getting full conversion.

90 minute boil. 11½ gallons out of the boiler. 5 qts used for the next starter. Generally mash @150-151°. The number I used above had been working for many years. Suddenly, not working.

Thanks for the info.

Hmm. As long as your recipe is set for an 11.5 gallon batch then all I can think of is the grain crush and efficiency issues. Possibly thermometer isn't accurate anymore and you aren't getting accurate mash temps.

I collect 13.25 for my 10 gallon batches, so I don't think that's really too much. My boil off is about 1.5 gallons an hour. 90 minute boils, this puts me right at 11g before chilling. Including kettle loss, hop absorption, tubing loss and fermentation loss I get 2 perfectly filled cornies.

But to the op's problems...

What's your ph like? Have you changed water usage somehow?

What's the crush like, home mill vs LHBS

What yeast strain/amount? Is it several generations old?

I collect 13.25 for my 10 gallon batches, so I don't think that's really too much. My boil off is about 1.5 gallons an hour. 90 minute boils, this puts me right at 11g before chilling. Including kettle loss, hop absorption, tubing loss and fermentation loss I get 2 perfectly filled cornies.

In my opinion, If you end up with 11 gallons after the boil then you are making 11 gallon batches. That 1 gallon difference is large enough to effect your numbers negatively.

We're brewing 11 gallons, I just always call it a 10g batch because I end up with 10 drinkable gallons after all is said and done. If you were only configuring your recipes for 10 that would definitely throw everything off

Back