Low gravity/ABV beers that don't compromise on taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonWheelio

Reaction score
I always get dismissive looks and statements from people when I bring up the idea of low alcohol beer, so many people seem to think that it's not worth drinking if you can't get a buzz from it. Don't get me wrong I love a bit of a kick and at times one hell of a kick but there are also occasions when I just want that delicious flavor without the foggy head / inability to (legally) drive, to study or otherwise be productive.

I am still really green when it comes to home brewing, but I'm passionate about it and absolutely loving the depth of detail involved (it really appeals to the IT nerd in me) so when I started looking into low abv beers with big taste I got really excited. Even more so since my only memory of low alcohol beer was about 10-12 years ago and it tasted metallic and watery, two things a beer should never, ever taste like. So far the only low alcohol stuff I've found in Canada has been Lager and I'm more of an Ale fan.

Below is a recipe I'm going to try soon and I was wondering if anyone has given it a go, if they would like to share one they've tried or any thoughts in general about this topic?

http://www.popmedium.com/2012/10/tiny-the-elder-low-gravity-ipa-homebrew-recipe/

I haven't done that one. I'm making more and more "session" beers, but it's really hard to make a great lower alcohol hoppy IPA. I've made a few that were pretty good.

The least one I made was this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pliny-toddler-466884/ This one wasn't particularly low ABV (It clocks in at 6.4%) but it's really good. It does not taste all that much like Pliny, though.

I"ve also done more "hopbursted" session beers, to get more hops flavor and aroma in a beer and that has worked well.

For me, it's really hard to get the strong malt backbone and firm bitterness needed along with the great hops flavor and put that in an under-5% package. I've done a few, and many have turned out very good- but none have been my "Eureka I've done it!" beers yet.

Back