Low fermentation temperature - ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekkydave

Reaction score
I have an amber ale sitting at the top of the stairs To my unfinished basement. This area doesn't get heat so it's usually cooler than the rest of my place, somewhere in the low 60's, which I figured is good for active fermentation, since I'm shooting for 68. My problem is that it's been super cold the last few days, and the stick on LCD thermometer is showing me that the carboy is about 63 degrees.

Im worried that this is too cold and the yeasts are going to slack off during the clean up process.

I just wrapped a second blanket around the carboy to insulate it. Brew day was one week ago, should I just let it sit, or should I move it to a warmer part of the house (I don't want to do this, but this home brewing is turning me into a nervous nelly)

63° sounds just about perfect for most ale yeasts. That is what I strive to get when fermenting. I usually have it a couple of degrees warmer. When I get a freezer for temp control I will set for about 63-64.

If you brewed a week ago keeping perfect temperature is now less important.

I would not worry either way. A bit colder or a bit warmer. I think you are good unless it gets a few degrees below 60.

How long has it been cooler. 68F would've been ideal and if it was at 68F for 5 or 6 days they yeast probably did most of their thing and active fermentation could be winding down and its okay to warm it up. If the yeast aren't finished and are still pretty active then getting it too warm could cause them to produce some off flavor compounds. I would take a gravity reading to see just where it is. If the gravity is pretty close to the recipe's predicted finishing gravity, then warm it up.

No, you really want to shoot for low 60's IN THE BEER, as during active fermentation beer temps can get up to 10F above ambient (ask me how I know). 63 is fine for the yeast to ferment and clean up after themselves. You're golden.

Back