Love Probe Submersible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a TSS2-2100 Love controller with a TS-51 PVC probe. It doesn't look waterproof. Anyone know if this is supposed to be submersible? I cant find in in the specs on Dwyer's site.

Don't know about yours, Mine's a TS-13101, but no, the probe that Dwyer ships is not waterproof. After a week or so, it stopped giving me readings and gave me three dashes. Dwyer e-mail told me it was a Probe Error -

You can make your own - go to Digi-Key, find Thermistors that operate at 1000 ohms at 25F. They're like 70 cents each, and they ship in regular mail for cheap. Then, using the wire on your current probe (or new wire), solder the new thermistor on, sink that into a copper/brass/stainless tube (hobby shop), fill the tube with epoxy - both ends. Voila!

Don't know about yours, Mine's a TS-13101, but no, the probe that Dwyer ships is not waterproof. After a week or so, it stopped giving me readings and gave me three dashes. Dwyer e-mail told me it was a Probe Error -

You can make your own - go to Digi-Key, find Thermistors that operate at 1000 ohms at 25F. They're like 70 cents each, and they ship in regular mail for cheap. Then, using the wire on your current probe (or new wire), solder the new thermistor on, sink that into a copper/brass/stainless tube (hobby shop), fill the tube with epoxy - both ends. Voila!

Could I just waterproof the Dwyer probe that way (havent used it yet)? I am making a ferm chamber from a chest freezer. The probe should be submerged to give most accurate control right? I may add a second chamber in the future. I think I'll try making my own probe for that.

Always makin' something. Fermenting chamber now. I am tired of lugging fermenters into the house!

Oh, yeah, that's right- you told me that!

Wanna make a trashcan kegerator, too, in your spare time? :D

Seriously, if you want to, I'll get the trashcan and another shank. If you provide the labor we'll be all set.

Could I just waterproof the Dwyer probe that way (havent used it yet)? I am making a ferm chamber from a chest freezer. The probe should be submerged to give most accurate control right? I may add a second chamber in the future. I think I'll try making my own probe for that.

I have seen them taped to the side of a carboy, when not submerged. Is that a possibility?

I used a mason jar full of sand and poked a hole in the lid, then sunk the probe in the sand.

I used a mason jar full of sand and poked a hole in the lid, then sunk the probe in the sand.

Why sand or why submerged? I would think that if you keep the ambient temperature around the target then the carboy contents should mimic and stay around that temperature.

Why sand or why submerged? I would think that if you keep the ambient temperature around the target then the carboy contents should mimic and stay around that temperature.

It doesn't work that way. In a 65 degree area (ambient) you could have one beer at 65 degrees, and one as much as 75 degrees (actively fermenting). Keeping a cool ambient temperature, like at 62 degrees, might work to keep the fermenters from getting over 70, but it's really not an efficient way to do it.

Because air temperature fluctuates a LOT more than water or sand and would cause the fridge to cycle more. I only did this as a very short term fix as I hadn't finished my "blow off thermowell" and I knew that my fermentation would possibly get too warm :(. I now use that mason jar in my serving freezer (keezer?).

I currently have a PVC "Tee" that I use with a large hose and rubber cork to insert a thermowell into the carboy. (pic after I get home from work).
The thermowell I used, but I changed to a one hole cork.

Description:
Cut a 3" length from 1" diameter hose and attach it to one "crossbar" of the Tee. This end will be inserted into the neck of the carboy so the Tee is on its "side".
Use a longer length of 1" hose off the "leg" of the Tee as a blowoff tube and submerge it in sanitizer
Insert the cork and thermowell into the other "crossbar" of the Tee so the thermowell goes through the crossbar and will be submerged.

Does that make sense?

Yes, if yours isn't ruined (like mine was) you could probably do that.

- as an FYI -
My fermenting chamber is a temperature controlled water bath - that way all my brews are likely to be fermenting in about 64F as opposed to doin' their own thing in an air-based chamber. So...my probe has to be submersible

Oh, yeah, that's right- you told me that!

Wanna make a trashcan kegerator, too, in your spare time? :D

Seriously, if you want to, I'll get the trashcan and another shank. If you provide the labor we'll be all set.

You bet! Sounds like a deal to me. Bigari's has a few nice wheeled trash cans. I almost bought one the other day. If you want to pick up some parts, I will have it ready for your party.

Yes, if yours isn't ruined (like mine was) you could probably do that.

- as an FYI -
My fermenting chamber is a temperature controlled water bath - that way all my brews are likely to be fermenting in about 64F as opposed to doin' their own thing in an air-based chamber. So...my probe has to be submersible

Ok, I will try waterproofing that probe to get me started.

A water bath sounds ideal! How did you do that? Do you have a build thread?

You bet! Sounds like a deal to me. Bigari's has a few nice wheeled trash cans. I almost bought one the other day. If you want to pick up some parts, I will have it ready for your party.

I JUST left Bigari's two minutes ago, to get some flexible wire to make my own long dip tube cleaner. I didn't look at trash cans!

Pamida has them for $14.99- take a look at the flyer and see if that would fit the bill. I know you want more than two faucets, but I'm happy with two, and only need one more shank for that. If you want four, I can grab those other two faucets, and we'll need a couple more shanks. Let me know what you want to do for sure. I guess we can see exactly how many kegs fit, before we decide.

What else will we need that neither one of us has? I have a 5# CO2 tank with a WYE, so we're good for dispensing two. Your spare regulator dispenses two, also?

I JUST left Bigari's two minutes ago, to get some flexible wire to make my own long dip tube cleaner. I didn't look at trash cans!

Pamida has them for $14.99- take a look at the flyer and see if that would fit the bill. I know you want more than two faucets, but I'm happy with two, and only need one more shank for that. If you want four, I can grab those other two faucets, and we'll need a couple more shanks. Let me know what you want to do for sure. I guess we can see exactly how many kegs fit, before we decide.

What else will we need that neither one of us has? I have a 5# CO2 tank with a WYE, so we're good for dispensing two. Your spare regulator dispenses two, also?

If you need any pointers/ideas shoot me a PM

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0167-1.jpg

You bought wire? You were just over...I have at least 100 feet of the perfect stuff. Didn't I make you one of those?

I think if we go the trashcan route, I would just like to make sure it is a good sturdy one. The more I think of it, two kegs may be enough. It wouldn't be hard to swap in a new one if need be. Maybe three as a compromise? We could put one of those brass faucets in the middle...

I have the gas and beer disconnects. Only other thing may be some gas and beer line.

You bought wire? You were just over...I have at least 100 feet of the perfect stuff. Didn't I make you one of those?

I think if we go the trashcan route, I would just like to make sure it is a good sturdy one. The more I think of it, two kegs may be enough. It wouldn't be hard to swap in a new one if need be. Maybe three as a compromise? We could put one of those brass faucets in the middle...

I have the gas and beer disconnects. Only other thing may be some gas and beer line.

Yeah, I bought some wire. It was for the LONG diptube in the keg- not for the short one in the keggle. I just made something like a gun cleaning rod, but the end wouldn't go through the diptube when it was bent with the cloth, so it's more of a "pusher" of the cloth but it worked and it cost me $1.00.

You did give me the diptube brush you bought- and I already used it! Speaking of diptubes (and I took you Love controller post so far off topic if I'm talking about diptubes- sorry!) I want to make one for the HLT like the one you gave me for the keggle. That works great.

Ok, THREE would be fine. If we can still fit the 5# co2 tank in there. I know it doesn't have to be in there, but the whole point for me is to keep party guests from ****ing around with the kegs/co2 tank. They always want to "adjust" it, or worse, accidently knock it over and break my regulator. Unless we invest in the paintball tank set up like Biermuncher has. What do you think?

We still need a couple of shanks, right? Or do you have a couple?

Latest posts

Back