Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Kirkland gloves. 4 for $20 for nice real leather gloves can't be beat, right?

I do remove my glove when putting. I also will remove my glove going from tee box to my ball, or from my approach shot to wherever it ends up, when it's hot or humid out. That helps keep my glove from getting nasty during a round.

Where it gets really nasty is when I go to the range though... Hitting ~100 balls in a row in the heat and sweat certainly doesn't make the glove very nice lol.

I use Kirkland gloves. 4 for $20 for nice real leather gloves can't be beat, right?

I do remove my glove when putting. I also will remove my glove going from tee box to my ball, or from my approach shot to wherever it ends up, when it's hot or humid out. That helps keep my glove from getting nasty during a round.

Where it gets really nasty is when I go to the range though... Hitting ~100 balls in a row in the heat and sweat certainly doesn't make the glove very nice lol.

I never take it off - not even for putting. If these gloves don't work out for some reason and I need to go back to leather, maybe I'll start removing the glove at times. But now it does not seem necessary.

I've noticed that pretty much every PGA tour player I've ever seen removes their glove for putting... I assume that most believe that they have better "feel" putting without a glove.

True? False? I don't know, but I know the putter isn't going to slip out of my hand without a glove, so I putt without a glove.

Removing it in between shots is only really important to me when it's hot out, and that's just to reduce sweat/etc. So if you like these gloves, probably no reason to do that. But then it's kinda hot and humid where you live, so it might improve the life of the glove...

I stopped using a glove 20 years ago. Got to the first tee one day and didn’t have one in the bag. Fred Couples convinced me afterwards that it was ok. I use Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips and use a big towel to dry my hands before each shot. I’m in south Alabama where it’s always hot and humid.

I've got a new bag coming in the mail. So, I'm going to buff out my irons and clean up my drivers - clubs look a bit rough haha.
I stopped using a glove 20 years ago. Got to the first tee one day and didn’t have one in the bag. Fred Couples convinced me afterwards that it was ok. I use Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips and use a big towel to dry my hands before each shot. I’m in south Alabama where it’s always hot and humid.

I like the way you think. Imma gonna give that a try. Thanks!

Sick of my ugly cavity backs. Polishing. I have a new bag coming, just can't put my old nasties into it.
1626476946438.png

Okay, here's what I was talking about. Royal St George Golf Club. site of the Scottish open this last wkend. 4th hole. As you're approaching the green, don't hit this ODD bunker. C'mon, this is ridiculous. I can see some repeat uses of my sand wedge, and my favorite epithets #%&*#@!!! here.

View attachment 735348

Coincidentally reminiscent of the pot bunker that (in the British Open, aka, The Open) started the downfall of David Duval's profession career.

Got a chance to go to the range TWICE this week after not having been in a while...man am I sore!
May just try to work long hours Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday next week so I can have a few hours off Thursday to get a round in!

I have every other Friday off. We've gotten about 9" of rain in the last 3 weeks. Made a day of golf and beer. Made breakfast at the crack of dawn and never turned on the phone in fear of work. Drove an hour west sunny and it was 90° and 70+ dew point and was informed the course made it walking only due to the rain Hilllllly course. I was dying by the third hole. Phone died trying to connect my gps watch on the course. I did find a hop farm and brewery 3 miles down the road and got pix of that. Wet hop harvest next month
IMG_20210716_181052.jpg
IMG_20210716_091923.jpg
IMG_20210716_091909.jpg
IMG_20210716_091906.jpg
IMG_20210716_091902.jpg
IMG_20210716_184010.jpg
IMG_20210716_183730.jpg
IMG_20210716_183540.jpg
IMG_20210716_181052.jpg

I did a lot of research a couple of years ago and almost bought some ZF gloves. I'm a lefty. Recently manufacturers stopped producing gloves for us. Let alone golf shops carrying them. I visited 2 PGA stores near me. 3 aisles of every type of gloves and ZERO right gloves Both mangers said it's not good for inventory as they don't sell as much.

I also have an odd size hand. Plus I've found quality going doing hill. Wear, seams and stretching was a huge problem for "leather" or synth/hybrid. I ate how they're cheaiping out on not full real lesther. Gloves would fit perfect, sometimes tight, and then the fingers would stretch the tips after a couple of rounds. These were top of the line gloves.

I use to change my grip during the sweaty months of July and August due to sweating. Now I changed it for year round and I think for the better.

I switched over to rain gloves. Because you get both handed gloves in a package. Plus I use to play a lot of tournaments and it was a huge advantage in the rain. I think ZF included 2 sides of gloves which with the reviews made them a curiousity.

My problem with swearing is the arms. It quickly makes it way down to the gloves. Once you trust your rain gloves being wet I find them good. I usually pour them with water to stay consistent before the round.

I talked with the pro at the course yesterday as I needed a glove and it was hot/humid. He said buy them online in bulk. Maybe I'll try one of those international shipping companies and see if I can get a deal.

I did a lot of research a couple of years ago and almost bought some ZF gloves. I'm a lefty. Recently manufacturers stopped producing gloves for us. Let alone golf shops carrying them. I visited 2 PGA stores near me. 3 aisles of every type of gloves and ZERO right gloves Both mangers said it's not good for inventory as they don't sell as much.

I also have an odd size hand. Plus I've found quality going doing hill. Wear, seams and stretching was a huge problem for "leather" or synth/hybrid. I ate how they're cheaiping out on not full real lesther. Gloves would fit perfect, sometimes tight, and then the fingers would stretch the tips after a couple of rounds. These were top of the line gloves.

I use to change my grip during the sweaty months of July and August due to sweating. Now I changed it for year round and I think for the better.

I switched over to rain gloves. Because you get both handed gloves in a package. Plus I use to play a lot of tournaments and it was a huge advantage in the rain. I think ZF included 2 sides of gloves which with the reviews made them a curiousity.

My problem with swearing is the arms. It quickly makes it way down to the gloves. Once you trust your rain gloves being wet I find them good. I usually pour them with water to stay consistent before the round.

I talked with the pro at the course yesterday as I needed a glove and it was hot/humid. He said buy them online in bulk. Maybe I'll try one of those international shipping companies and see if I can get a deal.

I used to buy right golf gloves all the time, right here at my local course pro shop. I wear them for tennis. My game improved dramatically due to the better grip in the summer.

Man, those just look like the shiz. I need some new clubs that look like THAT!
I'm gonna' have to stop following this thread. I've only played twice in the last four years, and you guys are giving this old guy the urge to swing a club again.

By the time I'd "retired" my clubs to an obscure corner of the garage, I was carrying 4 woods (driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 23.5 degree fairway wood), 4 wedges (PW, 50, 54, 58), and 6 thru 9 irons, plus putter. I'd alternate between a 5-iron and a "Ginty" chipping iron depending on the course I was playing and how my game was feeling that particular day.

Somehow my Ginty and Ping putter mysteriously disappeared. I think they re-materialized in my son's bag. Anyway, time to switch channels and catch the final round of The Open. ⛳

Played a round of vacation golf last week with my Dad and an uncle. Goofy layout on the course, rare driver opportunities, unknown distance carries from "fairway" to another section of "fairway". I use quotes because the "fairways" were closer to most roughs. Geofenced carts that would shut off if driven off the paths despite no one telling us it was path only and zero signs mentioning it anywhere. Pushing a cart halfway across a fairway to get it to move again kind of sucked.
Dad, who is probably a 4 handicapper right now, shot 83 and complained about how the course was laid out so I didn't feel too bad about how I was playing.

I did feel like my shots have improved with the practicing I've been doing this year and both partners agreed that I was playing much better than I had been...I'll take it.

Moving my daughter into an apartment this weekend, may to try take my clubs and squeeze in a round after the heavy lifting is done while she and the wife "decorate".

Man, those just look like the shiz. I need some new clubs that look like THAT!

Sub70 is a lot less spendy than a lot of clubs, stock wedge is $104.99. Mine were kicked up a bit due to the use of the MCC+4 midsize grips and that there was an upcharge for the Modus 120 shafts.

But it was nice that they could build them exact to my specs, and that they actually cherry-picked the heads to look for lighter heads to keep swing weight down at the longer length (36.75") that I play.

My son and I played the little exec course yesterday and I was able to hit the 52 as my tee shot on 7 holes and as an approach on one of the par 4s... I was throwin' darts!

(Couldn't putt though lol.)

I have a 52 and only hit it on 75y and less. I've pretty much mastered the club, but no distance at all with it. I'd love to get more distance on my driver, but the rest of the clubs I don't really care. I just want to hit them consistently. That's doubly true for my short game.

Yeah, I ruined a glove when I played on Monday. Big hole in the palm halfway through the round. I don't wear a

Yeah, I ruined a glove on Monday when I played. It was hot. There was a big hole in the palm halfway through my round. I don't wear a glove when I chip or putt. I do have 4 of the Costco glove waiting for me :)

I played pretty poor, couple nice drives, couple nice iron shots, a few great putts (including a 60 footer for birdie on the last hole. That'll keep me coming back!). But overall, I was blocking my drives like mad and pulling my irons. I wonder if my driver shaft could be to blame. Maybe too flexible? With increased clubhead speeds could that cause issues with blocks? I recently started using a lot more lower body (starting downswing with lower body instead of arms) and I think that has thus improved my lag and the swing and contact feels way more powerful.

I have a 52 and only hit it on 75y and less. I've pretty much mastered the club, but no distance at all with it. I'd love to get more distance on my driver, but the rest of the clubs I don't really care. I just want to hit them consistently. That's doubly true for my short game.

Yeah, the goal with short irons and wedges is to hit the ball where you want to, not as far as you can lol.

I haven't had enough time with the clubs yet, but my "full swing" with the 52 is likely to be about a 110-120 yard shot. That's not hitting it as hard as I can probably make it go, because if I want the ball to fly farther that's what my 48* club (GW) is for, or my 44* (PW), etc.

I played pretty poor, couple nice drives, couple nice iron shots, a few great putts (including a 60 footer for birdie on the last hole. That'll keep me coming back!). But overall, I was blocking my drives like mad and pulling my irons. I wonder if my driver shaft could be to blame. Maybe too flexible? With increased clubhead speeds could that cause issues with blocks? I recently started using a lot more lower body (starting downswing with lower body instead of arms) and I think that has thus improved my lag and the swing and contact feels way more powerful.

Generally it's assumed that a shaft that's too soft will lead to high trajectory and the ball flight being pull/draw, while a shaft that's too stiff leads to low trajectory and ball flight of block/fade.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/effects-of-using-the-wrong-shaft-1563314
I think it's more likely that you just haven't dialed in the sequencing of your swing with the changes you've made, and you're not getting the face closed at the right time. That said, you may have a shaft that just simply isn't well matched to your new swing mechanics.

What's your typical driver distance, and what is the weight and flex of the shaft?

Yeah, the goal with short irons and wedges is to hit the ball where you want to, not as far as you can lol.

I haven't had enough time with the clubs yet, but my "full swing" with the 52 is likely to be about a 110-120 yard shot. That's not hitting it as hard as I can probably make it go, because if I want the ball to fly farther that's what my 48* club (GW) is for, or my 44* (PW), etc.

Generally it's assumed that a shaft that's too soft will lead to high trajectory and the ball flight being pull/draw, while a shaft that's too stiff leads to low trajectory and ball flight of block/fade.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/effects-of-using-the-wrong-shaft-1563314
I think it's more likely that you just haven't dialed in the sequencing of your swing with the changes you've made, and you're not getting the face closed at the right time. That said, you may have a shaft that just simply isn't well matched to your new swing mechanics.

What's your typical driver distance, and what is the weight and flex of the shaft?
You're probably right. My ball flight tends to be really high when blocking. But when I hit it like I want to, it goes with a bit of a draw and perfect ball flight. I'm not actually sure what the shaft flex is, but I think it's pretty flexible. My 3 wood, which has a steel shaft and is much stiffer, I tend to hook pretty badly. So not certain what the difference is but my thinking is shaft flex...
My driver distance on good drives is probably 260ish.

When you get your swing changes dialed in a little more, you should consider a driver fitting.

260 should put you pretty solidly in a stiff shaft. However shaft weight and profile also give you huge potential differences and it might be a "feel" thing more than it is even a flex thing. I for one hate very light shafts--it feels like I'm swinging air and I get no feedback from the club, and thus spray the ball EVERYWHERE.

The 3W might be too heavy, on the other hand, rather than being too stiff. I use a steel shaft (today) in my 4w, and it's stiff, but when I replace my driver and fairway woods here somewhat soon I'm likely to go to graphite. Most likely will stick with stiff flex but go with a lighter shaft.

When you get your swing changes dialed in a little more, you should consider a driver fitting.

260 should put you pretty solidly in a stiff shaft. However shaft weight and profile also give you huge potential differences and it might be a "feel" thing more than it is even a flex thing. I for one hate very light shafts--it feels like I'm swinging air and I get no feedback from the club, and thus spray the ball EVERYWHERE.

The 3W might be too heavy, on the other hand, rather than being too stiff. I use a steel shaft (today) in my 4w, and it's stiff, but when I replace my driver and fairway woods here somewhat soon I'm likely to go to graphite. Most likely will stick with stiff flex but go with a lighter shaft.
Ah too heavy, maybe that's the issue with the 3W. I think for a while I'm going back to my old 3W, which I've had for 20 years and always hit it well. Hell, I used to use it exclusively off the tee. I didn't own a driver until about last year when I got back into golf. Thanks for the tips and discussion, Brad! Cheers.

I'm working my way through the book below. It's very interesting WRT old golf terms and thinking. The guy who wrote it was a golfer in the early 1900's and wrote a bunch of humorous stories about golf. Each story is less than a dozen pages, so makes for light reading on the porch or toilet. It's some very dry and antiquated British humor, so might not appeal to all. I bought the hardback cheap on ebay, thought it would make a good coffee table book.

Did you guys ever hear of a wedge being called a niblick, or other clubs like a mashie or a brassie? Turns out that our modern way of numbering the clubs, and the names of others were invented in the 30's, but before that there were some funny terms (remember, golf originated in the 16th century). Check out the sabbath stick, which was a club cleverly disguised as a walking stick. Golf was discouraged on Sunday, so dudes would go for a "walk" and possible swat at things on the ground with their walking stick if the oppo arose.

Anyway, if you're bored give the link below a look. Lots of interesting trivia there that actually comes up in the book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_golf_clubs
1626906582174.png

I played 9 last night. Started off playing solo, stuck behind a slow group of 4 that didn't know etiquette of letting a faster player play through. Then another solo golfer caught up to me, asked if he could play with me, I said sure. So we played behind the slow 4-some, and sooner or later, another 2-some joined up with us, played a few holes, then they had to leave. Soon after that, another 2-some of guys in their 20's (I'm 37, so I was the oldest among us) joined up with us. One of them was a long hitter, 280+ off the tee, it was fun to watch. They were playing from the back (blue) tees so the guy I was playing with and I joined them. That was a fun and different experience as I'm always playing from the white tees, a good 15-20 yards difference in some cases. I actually struck my irons pretty fantastically while my driver is still off (high and to the right when I miss). Irons, if anything are a bit pulled. It's an odd juxtaposition. Anyway, the 7th hole, I hit a stellar 6 iron from 180, hit it too good really, it flew to the back of the green, nails a sprinkler head and goes into the water on the right...bad luck there. I couldn't believe it, took a straight 90 degree bounce to the right. What are the odds?

I didn't really keep score, it seemed none of my other playing partners were either. It was just fun. I went out to play 9 thinking a solo 9 would be just what I wanted, but nope, I really liked playing with others I didn't know. In fact, the guy I first joined up with, I got his number and he said he plays most Wednesdays, so I said, hey let's do this again, it was fun. I really enjoy walking 9, I could walk 18, but most of the time I'm playing with others who don't want to walk, so it doesn't work out that way. Gotta fix that damn driver...

Last edited:
I got to rake a bunker today for the first time in over a year. Then I got to rake a bunch more because it was that kind of round. Was also pretty nice to get to pull the flag again while putting.

haha, I don't mind raking because I HATE hitting out of a footprint. It's one of the civilities of golf I find necessary.

Pulling flag, not so much. I'll never do that again, thanks but no thanks.

haha, I don't mind raking because I HATE hitting out of a footprint. It's one of the civilities of golf I find necessary.

Pulling flag, not so much. I'll never do that again, thanks but no thanks.
What's your aversion to pulling the flag to putt? I prefer not having the pin obstruction and hearing the sound of the ball falling in the hole.

In my round on Wednesday, I hit, what I thought was a good bunker shot, always aim for about an inch or 2 behind the ball - well, when I stepped into the bunker I noticed the sand was pretty crusty - club bounced right off the sand and sculled the ball over the green into the water on the other side. If I'd had known I would've played a normal chip shot. F*cking golf course has had sh!tty bunkers for some time now. A lot of people complain about it but they've done nothing to fix it.

What's your aversion to pulling the flag to putt? I prefer not having the pin obstruction and hearing the sound of the ball falling in the hole.

In my round on Wednesday, I hit, what I thought was a good bunker shot, always aim for about an inch or 2 behind the ball - well, when I stepped into the bunker I noticed the sand was pretty crusty - club bounced right off the sand and sculled the ball over the green into the water on the other side. If I'd had known I would've played a normal chip shot. F*cking golf course has had sh!tty bunkers for some time now. A lot of people complain about it but they've done nothing to fix it.

Mostly, I play fast and don't like futzing with the flag, especially when playing alone. It's not a big deal though, occasionally I play with somebody who still removes it.

Mostly, I play fast and don't like futzing with the flag, especially when playing alone. It's not a big deal though, occasionally I play with somebody who still removes it.
Do you spend time lining up your putt/reading the line, etc.? Or just give it a general look and then putt? If I don't spend at least a little bit of time on shorter putts, I don't make them as often. Must be a mental thing.

Do you spend time lining up your putt/reading the line, etc.? Or just give it a general look and then putt? If I don't spend at least a little bit of time on shorter putts, I don't make them as often. Must be a mental thing.

I do get behind the ball and grade the rise and run of the green - but I don't spend a lot of time doing it. I score the rise (0 = no rise) and the L/R run (0=flat), then hit it. Putting is one of the few things I do well on the course.

Some people will walk out on the fairway with their range finder, then walk back to cart and get the appropriate club, then adjust their stance forever, practice swings, etc. I have the distance on my golf watch, so when I get to the ball it's grip and rip time, often followed by hunting for my ball in the long stuff haha.

Played last Friday and I wanted to quit. I hit the ball so fat, so often...plus still doing the big push to the right. I feel like quitting guys... Honestly, it's hard not to take something serious when it costs as much as it does to play. If it were free, I'd maybe not take it so seriously.

Not counting 9 hole rounds with my sons, two rounds ago I shot the round of my life for a +9. The following round, and the same course, I shot a +31. It wasn't that I couldn't make contact--I was just hooking EVERYTHING left.

Golf is a fickle sport.

If it were easy, golf wouldn't be a 4-letter word.

I'm playing Sunday and then have a day off next Thursday to play, both at courses I've never played before. Had a really good range session yesterday, so hopefully I can carry that with me into those rounds.

Played last Friday and I wanted to quit. I hit the ball so fat, so often...plus still doing the big push to the right. I feel like quitting guys... Honestly, it's hard not to take something serious when it costs as much as it does to play. If it were free, I'd maybe not take it so seriously.

Play cheap courses? I pay $12 when I play. I had to become a member (~ $80 for winter, also for summer). I quit early and skip holes all the time, no worries. Play at least once a week.

Back