Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself some Voltaren gel. It used to be prescription but it's now OTC. It's a topical NSAID, and it does really well. I found it at Costco at a reasonable price for more than I'll probably use in a while.

I developed tennis elbow playing tug-of-war with the puppy after we got him, and one of the guys on this forum suggested it. I'd been dealing with tennis elbow for almost a month, and it went away in about 3-4 days with the gel.

Just put some on. Hoping for the best. Had wife take a pic - see bruising.

1606954958188.png

Umm, that may not be normal OR tennis elbow.

Tennis elbow as I understand it is on the top/outside of the forearm, not the underside. And for me at least there was no bruising.

You might want to get that looked at...

Umm, that may not be normal OR tennis elbow.

Tennis elbow as I understand it is on the top/outside of the forearm, not the underside. And for me at least there was no bruising.

You might want to get that looked at...

I killed the drives Saturday. Might have been my best day driving ever. Hurt like hell though, but we suffer for our art.

I've had tennis elbow from tennis before (used to play a lot). It does feel different - more of a pain around the elbow (imagine that). All 3 of my kids are in medicine of one sort or another, so I'm getting great personalized care. ATM they are texting me the medical names of the muscles I wrecked. I'm not concerned at all - I'm always nursing an injury. I suspect this will become more gruesome before it gets better. I'll post another one if it gets really impressive.

The course is at the top of a valley so there's usually wind. That's a par three. Tee shot feels like you're shooting the gauntlet. I've played it from the back tees where they push you back 240yds shooting off a cliff and yes a safe miss is bouncing off the rocks.

Haha I might layup on that par 3.

Been enjoying the pku. Long update from me coming. I see you are getting better passedpawn, woot! Yep, the hips lead, and a coordinated body move is way more powerful. Love the pics dude. Wow, so beautiful and looks like somewhere you would have to be real comfortable playing to score. I like all the trees and elevation.

Oddly enough my left wrist is hurt to. But I'm getting better. Hurt for like a month now, have no idea what I hurt in there. Yours looks bad but sounds like you know yourself. If my wrist looked like that and was swollen I would almost suspect I broke it.

Did I tell you guys the story of when I broke my hand diving for a ball in softball and wouldnt let them cast it because the golf season was coming up. He said , it'll probably bother you your whole life, but what would I know I am just a doctor. I said can I play with the cast and he said no. In hogans book he drew a picture of the right hand as a drill with thumb and finger off. I played like that. Without the ability to grip or control it was freewheelin'.

I see some new golfers woot. I can agree with a lot of what dog house is saying. I agree that I only shot a few strokes better breaking my back and caring to much. Honestly I feel I hit some better shots now caring less than a tight awful swing. I am certain that at some level the head plays a role. Most of my bad shots have a fear or doubt attached.

Got the heater and cart cover out once already. Back to playing ok. I moved the weights on that epic flash btw and I hit it dead straight maybe a slight draw. Looks and sounds like I whacked the heck out of it, but not seeing distance gains. They offered me a new shaft. My old adila says stiff 3.4. The tnsi blue stiff is 3.9. So I suspect I want the xs which is 3.9. Which seems weird, but I assume it's not pro stiff. Another thought is that I was taking speed off my swing with my hurt wrist and that is why I was hitting it straight. Not enough speed to go haywire.

Next up I am looking at setting up a launch monitor. Like the cheap little ones, yeah you dont get pebble beach simulation, but you get numbers. More to come, hit them well this wekend!

I finally played my first round in about 20 years. The group played from the senior's tees, something I have mixed feelings about. The 95 wasn't quite as well as I expected, but hey, it's a start. Could have been worse. I kept guarding against a hook and hitting the ball right, and hitting my irons thin (and short).

With any luck the course will be less intimidating next time, whenever that is.

I finally played my first round in about 20 years. The group played from the senior's tees, something I have mixed feelings about. The 95 wasn't quite as well as I expected, but hey, it's a start. Could have been worse. I kept guarding against a hook and hitting the ball right, and hitting my irons thin (and short).

Unhappy with a 95 after 20 yrs off? - talk about unrealistic expectations. I'd be ecstatic with a 95, as I'm usually in triple digits.

Brew on :mug:

I'm partying after a 95 haha. I play from the whites, but still. In my book, you're awesome.

When you're nervous and tight, it's common to hit them thin. I do it all the time. Nervous I won't hit my target -> overswing -> pull my head up during swing -> blade. It's all mental - I can have two great practice swings, then when I engage the ball, duff.

My suggestion (and believe me, I shouldn't be giving advice) is force yourself to swing at 75% on every shot. You'll do much better. I know, I can't do it either haha.

Unhappy with a 95 after 20 yrs off? - talk about unrealistic expectations. I'd be ecstatic with a 95, as I'm usually in triple digits.

Brew on :mug:

I'm fine with the score, not bragging or complaining, although it may have come across that way. I used to live or die by what was on the scorecard, but nowadays, not so much. It will be a point of reference, and the next time I play I'll take aim at it, but I won't obsess about it.

True confession though, I am slightly obsessed (in a good way, I hope) with the golf swing. But (now, anyway) that translates mainly as hitting foam balls in my backyard a couple of times a day. It's relaxing and fun, although I'm sure my nearest neighbor thinks it's a bit strange.

Hit the range today. Man... If I could hit them on the course like I was hitting them on the range today? I'd be a single-digit handicap lol!

More seriously, ever since my little "swing evaluation" things have been going downhill, especially on the course. And I realized during my last round that I might have just been getting in my own way by being WAY too tense. From my grip all the way up through to my shoulders, I was just trying to muscle everything. And that last round, I quite honestly couldn't even freakin' hit the ball.

So my focus today was simple... RELAX. Tried to remember the old Sam Snead saying, to grip the club like you would a baby bird. Firm enough that it won't fly away, but not so hard that you harm it. To just relax through the swing and let my natural strength flow, instead of TRYING to hit it.

Contact was SO much better. Direction was SO much better. Distance may have dropped 10%, but distance isn't my problem on the course. And once I relax, everything that I took away from that swing evaluation came right back too--better contact, good swing path, slight draw to the ball.

Now I just need to apply it on the course lol.

I do think I need an equipment change. I like my clubs because they were custom fit for me, but they were custom fit with 20 year old technology for a 23-year-old me. Golf technology has improved a lot. My own physical technology has degraded over those 20 years. These clubs swing very heavy, which was good to try to get me to slow down my swing tempo relative to being a 23-year-old gorilla. Not sure I'm strong enough to hit these things any more, which might be why I was trying to muscle everything through. And it's hurting me... I'm having more and more tennis elbow issues and I think part of it is swing clubs that are too heavy.

Getting old sucks.

Hit the range today. Man... If I could hit them on the course like I was hitting them on the range today? I'd be a single-digit handicap lol!

More seriously, ever since my little "swing evaluation" things have been going downhill, especially on the course. And I realized during my last round that I might have just been getting in my own way by being WAY too tense. From my grip all the way up through to my shoulders, I was just trying to muscle everything. And that last round, I quite honestly couldn't even freakin' hit the ball.

So my focus today was simple... RELAX. Tried to remember the old Sam Snead saying, to grip the club like you would a baby bird. Firm enough that it won't fly away, but not so hard that you harm it. To just relax through the swing and let my natural strength flow, instead of TRYING to hit it.

Contact was SO much better. Direction was SO much better. Distance may have dropped 10%, but distance isn't my problem on the course. And once I relax, everything that I took away from that swing evaluation came right back too--better contact, good swing path, slight draw to the ball.

Now I just need to apply it on the course lol.

I do think I need an equipment change. I like my clubs because they were custom fit for me, but they were custom fit with 20 year old technology for a 23-year-old me. Golf technology has improved a lot. My own physical technology has degraded over those 20 years. These clubs swing very heavy, which was good to try to get me to slow down my swing tempo relative to being a 23-year-old gorilla. Not sure I'm strong enough to hit these things any more, which might be why I was trying to muscle everything through. And it's hurting me... I'm having more and more tennis elbow issues and I think part of it is swing clubs that are too heavy.

Getting old sucks.

I suggest getting out there and really concentrating on the 75% swing. Not only will it help your body, but you might just hit straighter.

BTW, I'm really good at giving out advice that I can't follow myself. But my arm is almost better and I swear I'm gonna take it easy next day out, which will be next week sometime.

I do think I need an equipment change. I like my clubs because they were custom fit for me, but they were custom fit with 20 year old technology . . .

When you get fitted, what kind of advice is given about what clubs to buy? From what I've read, it's getting complicated. There's not just players' clubs and game improvement clubs but various degrees of perimeter weighting, etc. Some irons claim to be much longer, some more forgiving, some both.

When you get fitted, what kind of advice is given about what clubs to buy? From what I've read, it's getting complicated. There's not just players' clubs and game improvement clubs but various degrees of perimeter weighting, etc. Some irons claim to be much longer, some more forgiving, some both.

I got fitted again a few years ago. They looked at my swing speed, club angle at address, a few height measurements etc. They were also interested in how the club "looked" to me at address. They then handed me a few different "demos" to see how they performed on the simulator. Taped the heel and face to look at my shot profile. Finally followed up by taking a club to an outdoor range. The only option that appeared "selective" was that I preferred more of a blade type design as opposed to a full cavity back.

My hcap has already improved by 3 strokes and I couldn't be happier. They "seamed" longer than my old set but really most manufacturers are just de-lofting by a club to "look" longer. Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Granted, I was fitted 20 years ago. In that fitting, the clubhead wasn't even really an important part. It was a perimeter-weighted cavity back iron, designed for forgiveness. The much more critical point of the fitting related to the shaft. Getting the right weight of shaft for your strength and swing speed. Getting the right flex of shaft for your transition and how you load/unload the club. Getting the shaft kick point that felt "right". Making sure the length and lie angle were right for your stance and swing so the sole contacts the ground at the right angle, etc. The difference is I didn't have a trackman. I was hitting into a net without hard data.

I'll have to see how my next fittings go. I think my wife is getting me a driver fitting for Christmas, which is more important to me up front because driver technology has progressed SO much in those past 20 years, and it's where I think I could improve my bag most directly. I hit my irons well.

Eventually I then want to get fit for the irons, though. I can already say I'll end up in the game improvement or even super game improvement category (my new app says I'm a 24 hcap), and which clubhead I end up will probably be whichever looks/sounds/feels the best within my price range. I expect the most important part of the fitting will again be the shaft and how it works with my swing.

My hcap has already improved by 3 strokes and I couldn't be happier. They "seamed" longer than my old set but really most manufacturers are just de-lofting by a club to "look" longer. Good luck if you decide to go for it!

I think the de-lofting is also partly due to them getting more and more weight into the sole and so even with a stronger loft, the launch angle is still high. Not sure if that's as true with modern blades though.

Just put some on. Hoping for the best. Had wife take a pic - see bruising.

View attachment 708719

I've been researching tennis elbow quite a bit now... From what I understand, what you're looking at is golfer's elbow. Tennis elbow is on the upper/outside of the forearm, golfer's elbow is on the under/inside of the forearm.

This is really bothering me. From reading some golf forums talking about it, it sounds like a lot of people have it much worse than me. But I need to get a handle on it.

I found (through the forums) the Super 7 Exercises for Tennis Elbow. Basically some simple stretching and light weight forearm strengthening exercises. So I'm going to try to go through those a couple times a day. Also thinking about adding turmeric supplements to my daily regimen as a natural anti-inflammatory.

But the stuff I read on the golf forums it scared the hell out of me to the point where I realized I need to take this seriously. It's not going to just "go away" like other various aches and pains.

Getting old sucks.

Just bought new shoes. My old shoes felt like the wrong size... Because they were. 12 wide instead of 13 wide.

Got some New Balance golf shoes, which fit us wide feet folks, in the correct 13 2E size. Makes walking 18 much more bearable.

They're spikeless though, so when I start wearing out the tread I guess I'll just have to buy a new pair...

I always buy shoes one size too big, and 4E width on Zappos. This is due to an arthritic great toe that must have the space, lest I be hobbled and walk like Quasimodo. Zappos makes it easy to find these wide sizes.

I don't think I bought my golf shoes there though. Not sure where. But they are roomy, just the way my angry toe likes it. In fact, I will get the exact same shoes when I wear these out. Lovejoy.

I've been researching tennis elbow quite a bit now... From what I understand, what you're looking at is golfer's elbow. Tennis elbow is on the upper/outside of the forearm, golfer's elbow is on the under/inside of the forearm.

This is really bothering me. From reading some golf forums talking about it, it sounds like a lot of people have it much worse than me. But I need to get a handle on it.

I found (through the forums) the Super 7 Exercises for Tennis Elbow. Basically some simple stretching and light weight forearm strengthening exercises. So I'm going to try to go through those a couple times a day. Also thinking about adding turmeric supplements to my daily regimen as a natural anti-inflammatory.

But the stuff I read on the golf forums it scared the hell out of me to the point where I realized I need to take this seriously. It's not going to just "go away" like other various aches and pains.

Getting old sucks.

Just eat lots of yellow curry. BTW, if you decide to cook with fresh turmeric root, it'll change the color of any plastics. Well, I say "change", my wife says "OMFG, you f****** ruined the g**d*** nylon cookware and the f****** food processor". (the appropriate response is "meh, I like the new color").

I take two alieve before I do anything like golf or tennis. Mostly for back, not other parts.

I've been researching tennis elbow quite a bit now...

Getting old sucks.

My early days of golf led to tendinitis (or tendinosis) of the left elbow. It never was severe, and it doesn't really bother me now, but it never completely went away either. Attempting to lock out my left elbow on the swing probably did the most damage, but the quantity of balls I hit was surly a contributing factor.

The rehabilitation exercises should help after the acute inflammation subsides.

Havent played in idk 2 or 3 weeks, sucks. Snowed and then it stayed. Finally clear, but hit some good shots last time. Hit a splendid 258 yard 3 wood to 8 feet for eagle. Missed putt. Do you know this joke...You know how to make an eagle? You make the putt. Been too long since I had the real joy of telling that one. Firm cool ground we can hit some far ones here. My 3 wood in florida goes 190. :)

Talk about walk a mile in a mans shoes. I wear 12 4e. Sorry to hear passed. Sounds like you manage that well. My fil has that from years of skiing the back of vail. Hes tough as hell and that one hurts. Ugh these narrow leather fj I got with some tourney book money hurt. My feet have been described as hobbit.

Mom gave me samsung watch for xmas. I love it and bought golf app to track my shots and give me illegal club advice ;) oh and wife gave me net so I might wood shed a little, set up simulator maybe
...?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-135728_SkyDroid.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-135728_SkyDroid.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Great day for golf. Managed 6 pars and a birdie. Of course I finished +18 sure to a few blow up holes. Still good times.

I finished right at an even 100 today. Dammit. So many little missed oppos to keep it at 2 digits.

Tarpon Springs Golf Course. My youngest boy (at flag, below) loves it because it is wide open - very few places to lose a ball here. It's just OK in my book. Every time we play there we see this bald eagle. I caught it on the video below.

1609116232791.png

Cool man. Nice video. Good shooting guys. I played good. Birdied 5, never do that its 194 back there. The golf app golf pad is really cool, tried to mark shots and all that but didnt keep up. With gps flyover, easy to mark shots and see how far they were hit. Honestly having fun going through this course I supposedly know so well because I play it all the time. Haha, found out I have been aiming away from bunkers I could never reach. The first hole I have been fearing this right bunker. Its 290 out, and all but out of reach unless I was trying to slam one for some reason. Watch was ok , but the Garmin's was easier and less tricky for this single purpose. Might have to retry using it.

Tried to remember the old Sam Snead saying, to grip the club like you would a baby bird. Firm enough that it won't fly away, but not so hard that you harm it.

Have no idea how I got here but wasn't aware so many of you golf. Then saw this quote and I laughed. Sam Snead is a famous golfer, I'm guessing? (I can only hear your collective derision).

I fenced as a kid. My teacher was Albert Urenda, originally from India (if you've ever seen the movie The Great Race, Master Urenda did the actual swordplay in the "castle duel.".

In my early lessons with foil, this was the exact line he used with me. My young eyes venerated the man who intoned this with his E. Indian accent, his breath of onions, a kind face and patient soul. It seemed all so exotic and sagacious. It was truly a lifelong lesson that found application in many places.

Now I find out it comes from a guy called Sam Snead.

Have no idea how I got here but wasn't aware so many of you golf. Then saw this quote and I laughed. Sam Snead is a famous golfer, I'm guessing? (I can only hear your collective derision).

I fenced as a kid. My teacher was Albert Urenda, originally from India (if you've ever seen the movie The Great Race, Master Urenda did the actual swordplay in the "castle duel.".

In my early lessons with foil, this was the exact line he used with me. My young eyes venerated the man who intoned this with his E. Indian accent, his breath of onions, a kind face and patient soul. It seemed all so exotic and sagacious. It was truly a lifelong lesson that found application in many places.

Now I find out it comes from a guy called Sam Snead.

Golfer Chi Chi Rodgriguez was famous for using his club like a sword after a good putt. Not sure he's handling it like a fledgling though.

Just by coincidence, I watched a youtube match (although it was stroke play) between Snead and Nicklaus yesterday. (1963 Shell's Wonderful World of Golf). Snead was past 50, Nicklaus was 22 or 23. It came down to the last putt.

Paddy Harrington has an excellent video on how to grip the club that I've watched multiple times, partly for the entertainment value. A good portion of the lesson is convincing anyone watching that unless you have the proper grip, you are doomed to lead a life of misery, at least on the golf course.

Last edited:
Just by coincidence, I watched a youtube match (although it was stroke play) between Snead and Nicklaus yesterday. (1963 Shell's Wonderful World of Golf). Snead was past 50, Nicklaus was 22 or 23. It came down to the last putt.

Paddy Harrington has an excellent video on how to grip the club that I've watched multiple times, partly for the entertainment value. A good portion of the lesson is convincing anyone watching that unless you have the proper grip, you are doomed to lead a life of misery, at least on the golf course.

Every time he described what you SHOULDN'T do, and why, and the result, he was describing me. Frick, got to get to the range today and work on my grip.

Every time he described what you SHOULDN'T do, and why, and the result, he was describing me. Frick, got to get to the range today and work on my grip.

I've played with a bad grip and made compensations because of it, but I'm determined now to do things the easy way. A proper grip simplifies the swing.

I was happy... I grabbed a club from the garage and based on everything he was saying, my grip is textbook.

What do you guys like? Interlock, overlap, or baseball? I'm an interlock guy myself.

I was happy... I grabbed a club from the garage and based on everything he was saying, my grip is textbook.

What do you guys like? Interlock, overlap, or baseball? I'm an interlock guy myself.

I used to be an interlock. For 10 yrs I played with that grip. Then I took some time off (raised some kids) and when I got back into it, baseball. Maybe I'll go back to it.

I just walked out and swung a club. Turns out, my standard grip is per Padrig's recommendation - I don't palm it, as he warned against. So, maybe I'm not so far off after all.

I used an interlock for years (probably because Jack Nicklaus's book was one of the first I read) but had to switch to an overlap when my right pinkie was bothering me.

When I started getting serious about golf in my teen years, I was overlap. I don't know when exactly I switched to the interlock, but it just felt more natural to me.

It's weird. If I grab a baseball bat, I have to consciously tell myself not to interlock!

Awesome story. Cool you got to study with a master. I realized later that a few music teachers I had are masters (lucky) and that some of the things they taught me were in part their presence. I would love to get into that, I tried it once with electric touches on the tips and it was fun as hell. She blew my mind teaching me a little wrist hit was a point. Makes sense, thinking a sword hits your hand and wrist, probably gonna be a serious issue in battle. She could kiss that tip at any moment all over a person. Someone here was into kendo that looks fun being honest.

Sam was a fantastic stick and athlete. Self taught he stated the swing was simply that soft grip key and tempo. He led on with that pleasant hillbilly routine but he was way smarter than that and knew a lot about the swing. He was known as a good teacher.

Reminds me of a story Harvey Penick the great teacher and golfer tells. His book the little red book is known as one of the best lessons on grip, in case you didnt know, and that would be strong leaning as well which hopefully everyone knows. He tells this story about how he was giving a speech at a dinner or something and someone said look at harvey, he is holding that golf club like a fine violin. Cant quite recall where he goes but I know it included the idea of a club being a fine instrument. I knew the feeling well, after idk 15 years of playing guitar I started feeling it. A touch and a feel on the instrument that is part and paramount to playing iron maiden or Luis bonfa. Piano as well. I bet everyone has this touch on something, a kitchen knife, a cigar, a wrench.

I don't have that with the club. I want more feel, I think one should feel the club head back there, like a weight on a rod. Idk if it's my big hands or if I need a little tape on the clubs to help. I felt a heavy head once and liked it.

I don't have that with the club. I want more feel, I think one should feel the club head back there, like a weight on a rod. Idk if it's my big hands or if I need a little tape on the clubs to help. I felt a heavy head once and liked it.

I think that's part of the reason I ended up with such heavy clubs when I was fit 20 years ago. I had major tempo problems when trying to swing lighter clubs. I even have steel shafts in my driver because every time I tried to pick up a graphite-shafted driver it felt like I was swinging air.

I suspect that might be one of the changes that comes with my next set of clubs though... I think I might be able to go lighter and now that I'm a little older and more mature (and probably won't be trying to swing so hard) maintain a good tempo even with a lighter club. But I doubt I'll ever go "light" relative to average...

Back