Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't hurt, only obstacle is $$$

I've always told my kids that the path to improving their game is almost never equipment. Not really sure if that's true, but it saves them (me) money and puts the focus on the player.

Anyway, Justin Rose is killing it at the masters. I am working at the bench today, so I've got the match on my pc. One screen for leaderboard, one for following players. That's DeChambeau there. He plays with those irons that are all the same length. I've considered...

1617980751669.png

@passedpawn There are a couple DTC companies like Sub70, New Level, Golfworks, etc putting out really good stuff at much less than you'll pay for a big name brand set. And you can have them built basically to whatever spec with whatever shaft/grip you want.

One thing to look for would be a store which has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. It's basically an instrumented 6 iron that you swing 3 times and will basically tell you what you need shaft-wise.

I do totally agree with you that you can't buy a golf game by changing what's in your bag... The path to improvement is skill. But that being said, hitting clubs that are working against your physical swing traits only makes the job harder...

I like the concept of single-length irons... Just not sure that I'm ready to go down that road...

Nice! @passedpawn I'm about to turn the tournament on here, coverage is at 2 for us who don't pay for peacock or whatever it is you're streaming it on. I don't know if the CBS app is streaming it all day long or not, I haven't checked. Probably chill out with a beer and watch. Brewed an IPA this morning with Nelson and Motueka, so I'm ready to kick back.

The clubs all-one-length thing is weird, but kind of makes sense. I'm just not used to that idea. I admire what DeChambeau is doing but I'm not really a fan of the guy. Morikawa is my guy. Saw him play at the John Deere classic in 2019, that was really cool being up close and personal.

Nice! @passedpawn I'm about to turn the tournament on here, coverage is at 2 for us who don't pay for peacock or whatever it is you're streaming it on. I don't know if the CBS app is streaming it all day long or not, I haven't checked. Probably chill out with a beer and watch. Brewed an IPA this morning with Nelson and Motueka, so I'm ready to kick back.

The clubs all-one-length thing is weird, but kind of makes sense. I'm just not used to that idea. I admire what DeChambeau is doing but I'm not really a fan of the guy. Morikawa is my guy. Saw him play at the John Deere classic in 2019, that was really cool being up close and personal.
Just go to masters.com.

Trillium brewery is just up the road. In a couple of days it really goes up in price to $150. Today I paid $105. Worth it for the view. I use to play there a lot but price, being packed and price wasn't worth it.

Off to the right you can't see the harbor and islands. High up. Gets a lot of wind and when the grass is high can play tough. I recommend the restaurant deck for anyone travelling into Boston.

It use to be a quarry and favorite dumping ground of Whitey Bulger. Became a dump and when the Big Dig happened they took all the dirt and filled in the quarry. There's still some chasms and a fav for rock climbers. Gone Baby Gone is where the guy threw the baby.

Got a chance to play last weekend in a tournament with some other guys from my church.
Lots of fun, about 5 teams I think. Best ball format. We shot par on the day, but tied for second.
Best team shot -10 and won the "best drive" hole with 340yd (measured by GPS)... 😳

Got a chance to play last weekend in a tournament with some other guys from my church.
Lots of fun, about 5 teams I think. Best ball format. We shot par on the day, but tied for second.
Best team shot -10 and won the "best drive" hole with 340yd (measured by GPS)... 😳
Daaaaamn. Who says only pros drive it 300+... I certainly can't, longest I hit it is about 280 on a good day with a tailwind. I really should get a killer short game so I can make up for being a shorty and lack of power.

Daaaaamn. Who says only pros drive it 300+... I certainly can't, longest I hit it is about 280 on a good day with a tailwind. I really should get a killer short game so I can make up for being a shorty and lack of power.
Yeah....my best drive was on a 240yd par 3 (oof)...got lucky enough I drove the green (I had farther drives but not as "accurate").
We had an ok day as far as the long clubs, but missed too many important putts to pull ahead in scoring. 🤪

Shouldn't somebody break it to The Masters and CBS that it'd be kind of nice to watch the guy whose winning the tournament before the 14th hole? And Zalatoris, who came in second, his face never showed at all. Seems like they do this every year.

Checked the NYTimes report of the tournament, and the first paragraph was about Matsuyama slicing the ball off the first tee into the left woods.

Scandalous.

Shouldn't somebody break it to The Masters and CBS that it'd be kind of nice to watch the guy whose winning the tournament before the 14th hole? And Zalatoris, who came in second, his face never showed at all. Seems like they do this every year.

Checked the NYTimes report of the tournament, and the first paragraph was about Matsuyama slicing the ball off the first tee into the left woods.

Scandalous.
He looked pretty good in the final round, but he was having to overcome some of his own forced errors to hold off the field to win. Rounds 1-3 were remarkable. Three Eagles, one in each of the three rounds. Still, as remarkable and consistent as he was in the first three, it was his scrambling to win by a single stroke that made him a champion.

He looked pretty good in the final round, but he was having to overcome some of his own forced errors to hold off the field to win. Rounds 1-3 were remarkable. Three Eagles, one in each of the three rounds. Still, as remarkable and consistent as he was in the first three, it was his scrambling to win by a single stroke that made him a champion.

Of course, Xander choking on 16 didn't hurt for Hideki lol ok...

Up until 16, he was having a pretty good round. I really was thinking on the back nine that he would win, but my favorite to win would have been D.J. going back-to-back. Either him or Phil Mickelson (really the dark horse) who played well all week, for an old guy.

There's an eery likeness between my son-in-law and Phil. He plays a lot and is serious about his game. I got a picture of him with Bernhardt Langer from more than a few years ago at some rando encounter after playing a round at TPC Sawgrass. Needless to say, SIL kicked my butt that day. By not nearly as bad as the course did.

That sucked. I was pulling for Xander then that happened and you could just see all the wind get knocked out of his sails. Welp, it was a good run, is kind of what I thought he was thinking when he looked over to his caddie.

Went to Huntsville for the weekend to do some apartment hunting. Hit Top Golf yesterday before the drive home. Scores were miserable because I was just barely missing the targets but would have been decent on an actual course. Treadmill this morning told me my quads and calves were pretty tight, probably from all the sitting in the car before playing. Whodathunk a tired lower body would make a difference in a golf swing? (that's sarcasm)

Hideki did some of his own choking near the end - he lost one in the water. Good think for him that Xander's fire went out near the end or they might have been playing a 19th hole.

Yeah, that was my point. Hideki bogeyed 15 with that shot in the water, while Xander had birdied to come within two. Xander was charging and had all the momentum, and Zalatoris was still within striking distance if Hideki lost any more strokes. With that much pressure, who knows how Hideki would have responded?

As soon as Xander dropped that shot in the water on 16, it seemed like that would put everything out of reach unless Zalatoris did something crazy... I think that let Matsuyama breathe again.

A lot of people don't like Spieth, but I was rooting for him to stage a late run. I'm surprised he mentally recovered from that bonehead amateur move he made trying to weave the ball through the pines on the first day (I think), ending up with a triple bogie. He still ended up tied at 3rd place.

A lot of people don't like Spieth, but I was rooting for him to stage a late run. I'm surprised he mentally recovered from that bonehead amateur move he made trying to weave the ball through the pines on the first day (I think), ending up with a triple bogie. He still ended up tied at 3rd place.
What's not to like about Spieth? He doesn't really have any glaring character flaws, he's so calm.

I'm glad that Spieth is playing well again after all the speculation that he may never find his way out of a slump. He just kept plugging away, and I give him credit for that.

Yeah, some guys never fully recover from an embarrassing setback (Lookin' at YOU, David Duval, having to use a steam shovel to get out of a pot bunker in the British Open).

Yeah, some guys never fully recover from an embarrassing setback (Lookin' at YOU, David Duval . . .

Duval, at his best, was amazing. But there is such a fine line between the number one player in the world and the number 1000. A tiny little hitch in the swing, or a missed putt here and there can make all the difference. At some level, I'm sure most of us can relate.

Duval, at his best, was amazing. But there is such a fine line between the number one player in the world and the number 1000. A tiny little hitch in the swing, or a missed putt here and there can make all the difference. At some level, I'm sure most of us can relate.

With Duval it went much deeper. Despite his talent, apparently his heart AND his head were not always in the game. IIRC his father was a club pro who didn't so much force David into the game, but it was clear to him that this was the way to win his Dad's approval. The success that came so easily for David was his father's dream, not his.

I saw an interview with him a couple of years after his meltdown at the Open. He'd taken time off, was establishing a family, and seemed amazingly content. He was building something of a comeback but didn't feel like he had anything to prove to the world of golf.

He played on the tour for a while, missing more cuts than making them, and not seeming to be upset either way. Not mad, no chip on his shoulder, but no fire in the belly either. A state of Zen? He seemed at peace, maybe for the first time in a long time.

I was a huge David Duval fan back in his hayday, early 2000's. Him and Tiger. Then he got crazy in to fitness, messed up his back and that was the beginning of the end. I was such a fan that my swing even resembled his. I did the early head turn towards the target as I was hitting the ball and everything.

Hit the PGA Tour Superstore during my lunch hour today hoping to try out that Mizuno Shaft Optimizer deal... Unfortunately all of their iPads were in use due to lessons/etc, so no dice. Guy helping me says "Hey, I can fit you as well as that thing" so I figured I'm already there, let's see what he's got.

First he measured my wrist-to-floor distance and saw that I'm basically in the +1" range for shafts. Which is hard, because they barely get any shafts in that range. He tries me in a TT Dynamic Gold S300 +1" 105gm shaft, but it feels too light for me, which I expected. He then tries me in a Nippon Pro Modus 120 S in +0.5", which is a lot closer weight-wise, but too short.

He's looking at my ball speeds on the monitor and says I might be in the X flex range... But of course he has none to test, and certainly none that are over-length.

And for some reason literally EVERYTHING I hit is left. Starts left, curves farther left. I mean, left is my miss, but I don't miss 95% of shots--it's more like 25%. So that wasn't working either.

I guess at the end of the day, I got what I paid for ($0)... But I wish I could have actually used the shaft optimizer.

Played Saddleback in Solon yesterday with my new irons and shot 81 (I did take one mulligan though, haha, so technically an 82 I guess); but I really don't care. That was my lowest score in years. Still no birdies, although I had several opportunities. Hitting them really well, especially the short irons (8 and down). But above that I still have slight issues, mainly just not hitting them very high. Started hitting my driver well again also. My back wasn't a fan of it, been a bit sore since, but hoping that'll get better as the season goes on and I get more into golfing shape. All that twisting and torque, no bueno for the back.

Played Saddleback in Solon yesterday with my new irons and shot 81 (I did take one mulligan though, haha, so technically an 82 I guess); but I really don't care. That was my lowest score in years. Still no birdies, although I had several opportunities. Hitting them really well, especially the short irons (8 and down). But above that I still have slight issues, mainly just not hitting them very high. Started hitting my driver well again also. My back wasn't a fan of it, been a bit sore since, but hoping that'll get better as the season goes on and I get more into golfing shape. All that twisting and torque, no bueno for the back.

Congrats!

I played yesterday and shot 83... But it was a par-60 course lol... 81 on a par-72 course is better than I've ever shot anywhere.

Over the previous 4 days, I hit the range, played 9, hit the range, and then played 18. Now I feel like my golfer's elbow is tweaked. So I need to take a few days rest.

I've got a call in to Sub 70 Golf about some demo clubs... Hoping they have something that's in the +1" range with X shaft. If they don't, I might still order demos with standard length to try it out, but I feel like my clubs aren't suited for me and if I'm going to be working on improving, I might as well start with a better fit.

Congrats!

I played yesterday and shot 83... But it was a par-60 course lol... 81 on a par-72 course is better than I've ever shot anywhere.

Over the previous 4 days, I hit the range, played 9, hit the range, and then played 18. Now I feel like my golfer's elbow is tweaked. So I need to take a few days rest.

I've got a call in to Sub 70 Golf about some demo clubs... Hoping they have something that's in the +1" range with X shaft. If they don't, I might still order demos with standard length to try it out, but I feel like my clubs aren't suited for me and if I'm going to be working on improving, I might as well start with a better fit.
Thanks! Yeah, I wonder if a lot of my better ball striking yesterday was precisely because the clubs were fit to me. Couldn't have hurt... Last year I was upper 80's low 90's, so maybe yesterday was just a fluke.
And good for you for getting out so much. Wish I was able to more. Weather has been so crappy here lately. Yesterday was the only nice day we've really had in weeks. And this week is crappy now. April in Iowa...

Went to a simulator place on Sunday. Screen torn about 50% on the bottom, club speed reading 110+mph or not at all, hit center screen "ball" goes straight left. While it was good getting to swing different clubs this thing was nowhere near accurate. I REALLY need to find a real course I can play this year.

Backyard net, simulator, and TopGolf are really doing nothing for my actual game. They're all good for my wife wanting to learn how to swing a club but I need tees, fairways, and greens. Of course that also means trees, and rough, and sand......

Backyard net, simulator, and TopGolf are really doing nothing for my actual game.

I've got to get out more. Sunday I hit range balls and realized that's the first trip to the golf course in at least two weeks. Hopefully I will get a round in tomorrow or Thursday. Nothing is a substitute for being on the course.

Having said that, my backyard net is a life (or at least a swing) saver. I can isolate that one thing I need to work on without distractions. That doesn't mean everything I do in the backyard will translate into consistently great ball striking or scoring. But I'll have a better idea about why my bad swings are bad and my good swings are good.

Went to a simulator place on Sunday. Screen torn about 50% on the bottom, club speed reading 110+mph or not at all, hit center screen "ball" goes straight left. While it was good getting to swing different clubs this thing was nowhere near accurate. I REALLY need to find a real course I can play this year.

Backyard net, simulator, and TopGolf are really doing nothing for my actual game. They're all good for my wife wanting to learn how to swing a club but I need tees, fairways, and greens. Of course that also means trees, and rough, and sand......

That sucks... Sounds like a terrible place.

Hope you get out for a real round soon.

Ordered some demo clubs from Sub70. Unfortunately not in +1" length, but at the very least it'll help me figure out whether I like the shafts and heads.
That doesn't mean you actually have to buy them does it? You can order them just to try them out? Hope they're what you're looking for. I'd really like to get Sim2 Driver and fairway woods, but $$$ Maybe with tax refund next year. They'll be cheaper then.

That doesn't mean you actually have to buy them does it? You can order them just to try them out? Hope they're what you're looking for. I'd really like to get Sim2 Driver and fairway woods, but $$$ Maybe with tax refund next year. They'll be cheaper then.

No, because they're a DTC company and not sold in stores, they have a demo program. For $20 they'll send you a 6i and 9i. I ended up spending another $20 for a utility iron that I want to try out as potentially a driving iron off the tee.

Of course, it's not really "$20" up front, to protect them from people just keeping the clubs. The irons were $120 and the utility was $99.99, but they send the clubs with a prepaid shipping label and when they receive them back, they'll credit me back the excess.

They're going to be releasing a new driver in a couple months... The driver cost is $299, much more reasonable than most these days. And they have a similar demo program (more expensive up front at $220, but then when you send it back they credit you back $200 so the net cost is still the same $20 for a demo).

Back